+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Required to Declare Canadian Family Member

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello

I'm applying through the Canada Experience class and my partner is a Canadian citizen. He is therefore not accompanying me. The application system asks if he has a Canadian relative, so we selected yes, but then it asks for documentation of this. His birth certificate doesn't list his parents, so he doesn't have any proof of his relationship to them. He can request one, but who knows how long it will take right now. And we had no idea this would be needed because the IRCC website doesn't suggest we'd need to fill out so much information for a non-accompanying Canadian partner.

Has any one ever managed to get a definitive answer as to whether you HAVE to answer 'yes' when asked about Canadian relatives. Since my partner is Canadian it seems kind of pointless that he needs to declare that his father is as well.

If we do have to say yes, is there any other option but to wait and hope the birth certificate comes in time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I'm applying through the Canada Experience class and my partner is a Canadian citizen. He is therefore not accompanying me. The application system asks if he has a Canadian relative, so we selected yes, but then it asks for documentation of this. His birth certificate doesn't list his parents, so he doesn't have any proof of his relationship to them. He can request one, but who knows how long it will take right now. And we had no idea this would be needed because the IRCC website doesn't suggest we'd need to fill out so much information for a non-accompanying Canadian partner.

Has any one ever managed to get a definitive answer as to whether you HAVE to answer 'yes' when asked about Canadian relatives. Since my partner is Canadian it seems kind of pointless that he needs to declare that his father is as well.

If we do have to say yes, is there any other option but to wait and hope the birth certificate comes in time?
Your partner shouldn't be part of the application, either as accompanying or non-accompanying. He is already Canadian.

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
You mean when it asks for family size I should select 1? Where is that detailed? It says "
Include yourself, your spouse or partner, and any children that you have, even if your spouse, partner or children will not come to Canada. Do not include your parents or any other relatives.

If you have no spouse/partner or any dependent children, put '1.'"

I do have a partner, so I selected 2.