+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rented property in home country

Abdu

Feb 4, 2010
Guys, if I have a rented property in my home country, am I going to pay tax on that to the Canadain government. In addition, can I have a mortgage based on this rent if I can prove this with legal paperwork. I will land in Canada this July and I want to buy a house as quickly as possible to avoid renting for long periods of time. Note that I may not have ajob for sometime!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Abdu said:
(1) Guys, if I have a rented property in my home country, am I going to pay tax on that to the Canadain government. (2) In addition, can I have a mortgage based on this rent if I can prove this with legal paperwork. I will land in Canada this July and I want to buy a house as quickly as possible to avoid renting for long periods of time. Note that I may not have ajob for sometime!
(1)Yes, that is part of your worldwide income, hence taxable. If you pay tax on that rental income on your home country, then there are ways to reduce the tax payable in Canada.

(2) I don't think a bank in Canada will lend you mortgage money on a house abroad; too difficult to possess the house if you were to default on mortgage payments in Canada. And, of course,not having employment income will make getting a mortgage more difficult, if not impossible.

Waiting to buy a house may be a good idea anyway. It would give you time to check out different neighbourhoods, give you flexibility to accept a job in a different city (and not have to sell a Canadian house), and generally make a better choice of house in Canada. Also, if there is truth to the predictions that housing prices may decline in Canada in the next year or two, that would work in your favour.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Abdu said:
Guys, if I have a rented property in my home country, am I going to pay tax on that to the Canadain government. In addition, can I have a mortgage based on this rent if I can prove this with legal paperwork. I will land in Canada this July and I want to buy a house as quickly as possible to avoid renting for long periods of time. Note that I may not have ajob for sometime!
You can always apply for a mortgage in buying a residence in Canada with or without a job and show the Banks other assets you have (for example your rented property in your home country).