+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of PR Card

max2008

Jul 1, 2008
My PR Card is expiring on 25 May 2009. I stayed in Canada for less than 750 days, would i be eligible for a renewal considering my family are already a canadian citizen? Appreciate your opinion.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you apply to renew the PR card, you will have to explain how many days you were gone and the only exceptions you get is if you were out of the country with your spouse and your spouse is a Canadian citizen OR if you were working out of the country for a Canadian company OR if you were with your spouse who is a permanent resident who was working out of the country for a Canadian company.

max2008

Jul 1, 2008
Leon, thanks for the reply. In case i was not able to meet the exceptions you've specified, what do you think my chances are to get my PR Card renewed?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I doubt they give exceptions but maybe you are still ok with the number of days. They say on the PR card renewal that you can't stay away more than 1095 days in 5 years unless you have some exceptions. In 5 years, you have total 5*365 days + 1 for leap year so 1826 days. That means you would have to have stayed in Canada for 731 days. If you have already 750, maybe you are ok.

rozel

Star Member
Dec 14, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i'm a PR card holder, my pr expires on may, 2009 ..... i'm studying in India ...... i'm above 18 years old ......... i migrated to Canada with my parent as dependent at that time who are also presently in India ........ i have joined 5 years regular professional study course in India ........Is it possible for me to stay in India until my degree is over and maintain my PR status ? ...... if yes, what procedure to be followed ?....... what permissions i need to get from the Canadian High Commission in India ?........

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I assume you mean your PR card is expiring on May 2009. Your PR status is not directly linked to your PR card. Your PR status may already be gone if you have been outside Canada for more than 3 years after you became PR.

As a PR, you can not be outside Canada for more than 1095 days in any 5 year period. Certain exceptions like working for a Canadian company abroad, accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse or parent, accompanying a PR spouse or parent if they are in compliance with their residency requirements.

You can not renew your PR card unless you are in Canada. If your PR card expires while you are outside Canada, you can apply for a PR travel document to come back, provided your PR status is still valid.

yogesh0117

Nov 15, 2009
Leon said:
i came to canada in March 2005 and got PR status.
I lived in canada for 2 months and had to go back home due to family circumstances.
My mother passed away in January 2009. Since June 2009, I am in Canada.
I know I am not fulfilling the two years eligibility.
What are the chances of my PR renewal ?
Pl advise ASAP as time is passing and I have to make firm decision for my future.
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do not try to renew your PR card until you have 2 years in Canada, that is June 2011. Also do not leave Canada. Your PR status can not be questioned while you are in Canada unless you apply to renew your PR card.

Once you meet the residency requirements again, make sure you don't apply until you do, then you can apply to renew PR card and you will be fine.

If you try to renew your PR card now, they will tell you that you lost your PR and refuse your renewal. You could apply under H&C reasons because of family circumstances but it will probably take a long time to process and you can not be sure of the results.

yogesh0117

Nov 15, 2009
correct if I understood wrongly?
means i can stay in canada until i complete residencey of two years and then i can apply for this pr card.
does any body question me if i had expired pr card ?\
can i visit to usa on a visitor visa and return back to canada while i have my pr card with expired date ?\
pl advise.
thanks\

yogesh0117

Nov 15, 2009
also once i complete tw0 yrs residence in june 2011, will they question me why i did not renewed my pr card ?\
will there be any legal complicaton or letigation against me by ministry for not following the laws.
will this impact me on my citizenship later on due to no compliance ?\
pl advsie
thanks\

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can stay in Canada until you have 2 years and then apply for a new PR card. There is no law that says you need to have a valid PR card at all times. You need it sometimes to prove your status, when you move to a new province to apply for health care perhaps or get a drivers license but that is about it. If you take care of those things before your PR card expires, you will not need it again. It will not affect your citizenship. Nobody will ask you why you didn't renew it sooner. They are only allowed to look at the last 5 years from the date you apply for renewal. If in those 5 years, you meet the residency requirements, they can not go further back in time.

You should NOT leave Canada during this time. While you wait to fulfill the 2 years, your PR is only safe while you stay in Canada and do not apply to renew your PR. As soon as you leave, you risk getting caught when you return, especially if your PR card is already expired. If the IO at the border believes you haven't been meeting the residency requirements, they request that you prove otherwise and if you can't, you will lose your PR.

ebvasu

Aug 3, 2014
My PR expires 12th September 2020
I completed 580 days only my card will be renewed if I apply
Further my visitor visa valid till 2024 Is it valid after issuing PR card

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You should maybe expect your PR status to possibly be revoked if you apply now having only resided for 580 days so you should not apply to renew until probably feb/mar 2021 and stay put until then by which time you would have met the residency obligation.

Once you are a PR visit visas are no longer valid so given you appear to have not met the residency obligation then should you leave there is always possibility on return you could be reported leading to PR status being revoked.

Also should you be out of the country without a valid PR card you would need a PRTD to travel back, and if you have not met the residency obligation applying for a PRTD could also possiBly result in PR status being revoked.

Last edited:

ebvasu

Aug 3, 2014
i
You should maybe expect your PR status to possibly be revoked if you apply now having only resided for 580 days so you should not apply to renew until probably feb/mar 2021 and stay put until then by which time you would have met the residency obligation.

Once you are a PR visit visas are no longer valid so given you appear to have not met the residency obligation then should you leave there is always possibility on return you could be reported leading to PR status being revoked.

Also should you be out of the country without a valid PR card you would need a PRTD to travel back, and if you have not met the residency obligation applying for a PRTD could also possiBly result in PR status being revoked.
now i am struck in india can i travel to canada during augest please note my PR expires 12th september