+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocating for a new Job

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm seriously considering moving from Montreal to Toronto to get a new job. I currently work full-time and rent an apartment. I see several challenges in moving to a different city and province.

First, employers favor local applicants. That means I will first have to move in to Toronto, so I can put the new address on my CV. This way I can also visit offices for on-site interviews, as opposed to remote interviews on Skype (which are more rare). If I start applying from Montreal, I assume I'll be rejected more often, because I'd be an out of province applicant that doesn't have any housing in GTA. Also, how would I attend interviews, if I don't live in the city?

But this poses another problem. Most landlords ask for and/or require proof of employment when signing a lease. A person with a stable job is favored over an unemployed individual that only has savings, for example, even though credit history and employment record weigh in. Otherwise, without a job, I'd have a lesser chance to get an apartment, because I think landlords will give preference to other young professionals that are already employed.

Looks to me like a vicious circle. Here's a few scenarios I mapped out:
  1. Sign a lease in TO while still employed in MTL. Then relocate and start looking for a new job. (Not great, it'd be better to get a job first)
  2. Find an Airbnb or a hotel in TO, find a job, then find a proper apartment, and only then fully relocate. (Kind of risky, what if job hunt and/or subsequent apartment hunt takes longer than anticipated?)
Both are somewhat tricky. Montreal and Toronto are just examples of course, you can pick any two cities. Some questions I have in mind:
  • Is it possible to get a job in a new city without relocating first? (with the intent to move in right after)
  • Is it possible to get an apartment without a job? (or with a job in a different city)
I wonder if anyone here faced a similar situation and can share their experience.

Thanks,

Alex

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is quite common to search for jobs in other cities or provinces. Basic entry level service jobs might require you to be in the same city but otherwise employers consider applicants across Canada. If you are offered an interview I would ask if a first interview could be done over Skype. You could offer to travel if there is a 2nd interview. I wouldn't move from Montreal where you have a job to Toronto without a job because Toronto is much more expensive. The rental market is pretty tight so yes landlords will prefer a tenant that is employed. I also wouldn't limit yourself to only Toronto.