+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding the Brother Sponsorship

vbollu

May 18, 2019
Hi, Can any one please help me.

When i filled the application form for the permanent residency i did not declare my brother and sister.
Now I got my permanent resident, incase if my brother mentions in any application that he has a brother who is a permanent resident in the future applications will it be a problem?

Do we have any other option to sponsor for undeclared family members ( for brother and sister )

Thanks in advance for your response

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Why did you not declare your siblings?

Also, as you are married and are looking to sponsor your spouse, you cannot sponsor your brother.

Almik

Dec 12, 2020
Hi, Can any one please help me.

When i filled the application form for the permanent residency i did not declare my brother and sister.
Now I got my permanent resident, incase if my brother mentions in any application that he has a brother who is a permanent resident in the future applications will it be a problem?

Do we have any other option to sponsor for undeclared family members ( for brother and sister )

Thanks in advance for your response
Hi, did you manage to bring your brother to Canada? I am in the same situation
I didn’t declare my brother from a bad advice and now worried how I can bring him here and not to get deported myself. Please reply if you have any useful information

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, did you manage to bring your brother to Canada? I am in the same situation
I didn’t declare my brother from a bad advice and now worried how I can bring him here and not to get deported myself. Please reply if you have any useful information
OP wasn't going to "bring his brother here". I think he was asking if his brother can mention him in other application.

Unless your parents and grandparents are all deceased. And you are single and have no child. And you have no relatives in Canada. And if you had declared your brother in your original PR application. Then you may have a chance to sponsor him (known as lonely Canadian).

Most likley, I don't think you can sponsor him.

Almik

Dec 12, 2020
OP wasn't going to "bring his brother here". I think he was asking if his brother can mention him in other application.

Unless your parents and grandparents are all deceased. And you are single and have no child. And you have no relatives in Canada. And if you had declared your brother in your original PR application. Then you may have a chance to sponsor him (known as lonely Canadian).

Most likley, I don't think you can sponsor him.
Thank you for your help I wonder if there is any cases where people had issues when they didn’t declare siblings and then immigration deported those people? Just worried if my brother comes here and goes for study I will be in a big trouble..... just can’t find any on this website.(((

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
Thank you for your help I wonder if there is any cases where people had issues when they didn’t declare siblings and then immigration deported those people? Just worried if my brother comes here and goes for study I will be in a big trouble..... just can’t find any on this website.(((
Misrepresentation

According to

40 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
  • (a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;

Cases on CanLII - https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/text=sibling misrepresentation

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2018/2018canlii129883/2018canlii129883.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAWTWlzcmVwcmVzZW50ZWQgc2libGluZwAAAAAB&resultIndex=19

Reactions: Almik

Almik

Dec 12, 2020
Misrepresentation

According to

40 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
  • (a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;

Cases on CanLII - https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/text=sibling misrepresentation

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2018/2018canlii129883/2018canlii129883.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAWTWlzcmVwcmVzZW50ZWQgc2libGluZwAAAAAB&resultIndex=19
Thank you! This is the only case I was able to find on Canlii about sister that was not declared. But in it was failed refugee claimant, and her sister with high chances would not get pr in case she declared having a sister in Canada. And also my brother never applied or been refused visa to Canada, no any criminal history. I applied through express entry, so kind of I qualified on my own. so I wonder for myself if me not declaring my brother could induce in administration error.... I am very scared to lose the life I worked hard for because of my own actions....

I wish I could go back in times and do it differently.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you! This is the only case I was able to find on Canlii about sister that was not declared. But in it was failed refugee claimant, and her sister with high chances would not get pr in case she declared having a sister in Canada. And also my brother never applied or been refused visa to Canada, no any criminal history. I applied through express entry, so kind of I qualified on my own. so I wonder for myself if me not declaring my brother could induce in administration error.... I am very scared to lose the life I worked hard for because of my own actions....

You still haven't answered the question about why you omitted your siblings.

You should see a lawyer. The reference above says omission of material facts, ie germane to how your application would have been handled.

That depends on circumstances and we don't know those.

Reactions: Qwertypod

Almik

Dec 12, 2020
You still haven't answered the question about why you omitted your siblings.

You should see a lawyer. The reference above says omission of material facts, ie germane to how your application would have been handled.

That depends on circumstances and we don't know those.
One of my siblings is on my application. My application was prepared by someone else. And I was 18 I didn’t u understand much about visas and all, my dream was to go to study in Canada. That’s all. And in Canada if I would put him on pr papers( I already consulted a consultant and he advised me not to put his info). Otherwise my chances of refusal of pr would be high. Couple of wrong decisions... that’s why.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
One of my siblings is on my application. My application was prepared by someone else. And I was 18 I didn’t u understand much about visas and all, my dream was to go to study in Canada. That’s all. And in Canada if I would put him on pr papers( I already consulted a consultant and he advised me not to put his info). Otherwise my chances of refusal of pr would be high. Couple of wrong decisions... that’s why.
Sorry, and to clarify: you want to sponsor your brother now? (The sibling that was not declared?)

No, won't be possible. A little confusing as you jumped on a previous thread.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Okay, sorry, now I think I see your situation a bit better. But I'm not certain from your various postings, so may be missing something.

Keep in mind, can only respond based on what you seem to have put - and I'm not an expert. You may need legal advice.

1) I still don't understand why your consultant advised leaving out your sibling in the first place. It shouldn't have had any impact on you being approved or not to study in Canada. Do you have any recollection of why the consultant recommended this? (It was very, very bad advice).

2) If I understand correctly, you first applied to study in Canada, then did study in Canada, and then entered/qualified under express entry? And your express entry application also excluded your brother (I guess at this point because you / your consultant didn't wish to admit there was a mistake or misrepresentation for the student application?) Again, doesn't seem you would have gained any benefit from not disclosing your brother on the family information form.

3) The biggest problem here is that you compounded the original misrepresentation with your express entry application. Makes it harder to explain, legally - hardly a mistake when repeated twice.

4) The only bit of good news here is a slim one: if I'm right that there was no good reason to not disclose your brother on your app, arguably - from a legal perspective - you did not withhold material, germane information (material or germane to your original apps). Warning, this only applies if I'm correct that you didn't get any benefit from not disclosing your brother. And not certain this is how it would be looked at legally.

So I'm not a lawyer, but there is a possibility it would be looked at as stupid but not criminal - and probably low risk that it would be worth pursing for IRCC on its own. (This is assuming all other aspects of your file and residency in Canada are on the up-and-up, employed, etc). Hopefully the risk of serious action against you is low. Longer term presence in Canada beneficial.

Also, if no other applications made and your brother never visited, possible it would never come up.

5) The question is what happens if something comes up, like your brother applying to come to Canada to study. Then IRCC will find out about the situation (almost certainly). This is why you need legal advice - it may be safer to go to them in advance with an admission of the mistake. Maybe not. Maybe they will just refuse his application (although technically he was not involved). I honestly don't know.

It is potentially serious enough that you need decent legal advice. You could delay looking into this, but if your brother is intending to apply to come to Canada, I would say you should not delay.

Note, you've already been poorly advised once. Be careful about taking advice that seems not right.

(If in a hole, first thing is to stop digging)

Almik

Dec 12, 2020
Okay, sorry, now I think I see your situation a bit better. But I'm not certain from your various postings, so may be missing something.

Keep in mind, can only respond based on what you seem to have put - and I'm not an expert. You may need legal advice.

1) I still don't understand why your consultant advised leaving out your sibling in the first place. It shouldn't have had any impact on you being approved or not to study in Canada. Do you have any recollection of why the consultant recommended this? (It was very, very bad advice).

2) If I understand correctly, you first applied to study in Canada, then did study in Canada, and then entered/qualified under express entry? And your express entry application also excluded your brother (I guess at this point because you / your consultant didn't wish to admit there was a mistake or misrepresentation for the student application?) Again, doesn't seem you would have gained any benefit from not disclosing your brother on the family information form.

3) The biggest problem here is that you compounded the original misrepresentation with your express entry application. Makes it harder to explain, legally - hardly a mistake when repeated twice.

4) The only bit of good news here is a slim one: if I'm right that there was no good reason to not disclose your brother on your app, arguably - from a legal perspective - you did not withhold material, germane information (material or germane to your original apps). Warning, this only applies if I'm correct that you didn't get any benefit from not disclosing your brother. And not certain this is how it would be looked at legally.

So I'm not a lawyer, but there is a possibility it would be looked at as stupid but not criminal - and probably low risk that it would be worth pursing for IRCC on its own. (This is assuming all other aspects of your file and residency in Canada are on the up-and-up, employed, etc). Hopefully the risk of serious action against you is low. Longer term presence in Canada beneficial.

Also, if no other applications made and your brother never visited, possible it would never come up.

5) The question is what happens if something comes up, like your brother applying to come to Canada to study. Then IRCC will find out about the situation (almost certainly). This is why you need legal advice - it may be safer to go to them in advance with an admission of the mistake. Maybe not. Maybe they will just refuse his application (although technically he was not involved). I honestly don't know.

It is potentially serious enough that you need decent legal advice. You could delay looking into this, but if your brother is intending to apply to come to Canada, I would say you should not delay.

Note, you've already been poorly advised once. Be careful about taking advice that seems not right.

(If in a hole, first thing is to stop digging)
Thank you for your input! I start understanding more my type of misrepresentation. I will consult lawyer as well. thanks a lot!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your input! I start understanding more my type of misrepresentation. I will consult lawyer as well. thanks a lot!
Good luck. Don't wish to overly scare you - perhaps this turns into nothing.

Another positive, I think you correctly surmised that the other case cited was made worse by continuing, compound errors - continuing to deny everything, no contrition, not answering obvious errors with anything but more lies - complete lack of credibility - in addition to the misrepresentation being obviously material and germane and done to get personal benefit. (And other problems that didn't help, such as a weak claim to being 'integrated in the community'...).

Short form, don't do any of that and better chances of things working out.

Almik

Dec 12, 2020
Good luck. Don't wish to overly scare you - perhaps this turns into nothing.

Another positive, I think you correctly surmised that the other case cited was made worse by continuing, compound errors - continuing to deny everything, no contrition, not answering obvious errors with anything but more lies - complete lack of credibility - in addition to the misrepresentation being obviously material and germane and done to get personal benefit. (And other problems that didn't help, such as a weak claim to being 'integrated in the community'...).

Short form, don't do any of that and better chances of things working out.
If I ever get into issues about this brother issue not being declared, I can only admit the truth... sadly, there is no possibility to do fix if all now... when I could do, I didn’t have money for more qualified opinion(living in fear losing a chance to live in the country I fell in love with) and continued that misrepresentation. And now when I boult life here, job, my wife came here.... it haunts me... because I can lose it((( anyway, thank you for your help!!! Happy Holidays to you!!!

Reactions: armoured