+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding Health Insurance Card in Ontario

Piyali

Apr 27, 2006
Hi,

Can anyone help me with this.

Is it necessary for a person to reside for 3 months in Ontario to receive the Health Insurance card or one can apply for it on landing and travel outside Canada and collect it after he returns?

Is the 3 month period due to the waiting queue or to determine the residence proof in Ontario for 3 months?

Any practical help will be highly appreciated!

Cheers!
Piyali

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You have to have an address in Canada to mail the card to. Just like with your PR card.

You should apply for the health insurance card as soon as you arrive. It won't arrive until about 2 months after you land, though.

I think the 3 month period is sort of a vetting period. But they don't verify your address per se.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaiguy said:
You have to have an address in Canada to mail the card to. Just like with your PR card.

You should apply for the health insurance card as soon as you arrive. It won't arrive until about 2 months after you land, though.

I think the 3 month period is sort of a vetting period. But they don't verify your address per se.
The OP has to reside in Ontario for 3 months before s/he is eligible for OHIP. You need proof of an address as well.

From their site:

2. Proof of Residency - A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your permanent and principal home is Ontario:

* Child Tax Benefit Statement
* Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
* Income tax assessment (most recent)
* Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
* Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
* Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
* Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
* Property tax bill
* School, college or university report card or transcript
* Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Family Benefits Allowance
* Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
* Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
* Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union).
* Utility bill (telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
* Valid Ontario Driver's Licence or Temporary Driver's Licence
* Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
* Your Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution

PMM

Piyali

Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

PMM,

So do you know as to when do they need the residence proof, initially I only apply for the Health card right? Do they contact us later to mail them the residence proof?

How does it work?
Do let me know the process. Looks like the Health Insurance link on the CIC site is not opening....or maybe if you could pls paste the link you referred to in your reply!

Many Thanks,
Piyali

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do I rememebr right? You can apply for OHIP whenever you wish but in Ontario as well as in BC you will be insured only after three months of residence in the province. Till that time you should buy a private insurance by yourself.

Piyali

Apr 27, 2006
Hi,

I need to know what if I dont stay for the first 3 months after applying for Health Insurance?
How do they know and verify ? When do they ask for the residence proof?

PMM please answer!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Piyali said:
Hi,

I need to know what if I dont stay for the first 3 months after applying for Health Insurance?
How do they know and verify ? When do they ask for the residence proof?

PMM please answer!
Yes, you have to prove that you have lived in Ontario for 3 months.

PMM