+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused PR Because of a my Change of Address Didn't Go Through

Slimou

Aug 12, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I applied in December 2018 for a Permanent Residence in Canada through Express Entry using the Canadian Experience Class. I've finished my high school and bachelor's degree in Canada and all my work experience is here as well.
When choosing the intended province of destination, I chose Ontario, as most of my time here in Canada, I've lived in Ottawa. I did all my studies in Ottawa, all my employments were in Ottawa and I currently live in Ottawa as well. However, when I applied, I used to live in Gatineau which of course I mentioned in my PR request. In April, I was asked for a letter to prove my intent to leave Quebec once I get my PR. In this letter, I wrote about all my ties to Ontario (my studies, my present and past work, the fact that I spend most of my social time there and the fact that I'm applying for new jobs in Ontario) and said that I was living in Gatineau for the time being for economical reasons and that I would move as soon as I landed a job related to my field of studies.

June came and I haven't heard anything which got me a little bit scared so I decided to just move to Ottawa even before I land another job. I moved on July 20th and advised of the change on July 13th using a web form, I tried to use the online service but it wasn't recognizing my file number or UCI so I used a web form to put in the change of address. When using a web form, it doesn't send you an email saying a request went through which made me doubt a little bit but I remembered that I had used it before to request an update on my file and that it didn't notify me via email as well but I know that the request went through because I got a response a few days after giving me updates about my PR file. So after having requested my change of address I just waited patiently.

Yesterday, about a month after I put in the change of address request, I received a letter in my account saying that my PR was refused because the officer wasn't convinced that I was going to move out of Quebec after having received my PR, which made me think that they didn't get my change of address request. I called this morning to check that fact and, with no surprise, the address they have on file is the one in Gatineau. I am thinking about writing a reconsideration letter and submit it using the web forms as I can't do it through my Express Entry file. I read here that it can be done https://www.migrationlaw.com/application-refused-consider-request-reconsideration/ but it doesn't say where to apply for it but I'm going to guess it's through one of the web forms. Now, the web forms not having worked for me in the past, I'm afraid I won't be able to reach the officer through them again this time so I wanted to know if any of you had a similar experience or advice.

Thank you very much for reading and have a great day,

Slim

Reactions: gcastrobh

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
Hello Everyone,

I applied in December 2018 for a Permanent Residence in Canada through Express Entry using the Canadian Experience Class. I've finished my high school and bachelor's degree in Canada and all my work experience is here as well.
When choosing the intended province of destination, I chose Ontario, as most of my time here in Canada, I've lived in Ottawa. I did all my studies in Ottawa, all my employments were in Ottawa and I currently live in Ottawa as well. However, when I applied, I used to live in Gatineau which of course I mentioned in my PR request. In April, I was asked for a letter to prove my intent to leave Quebec once I get my PR. In this letter, I wrote about all my ties to Ontario (my studies, my present and past work, the fact that I spend most of my social time there and the fact that I'm applying for new jobs in Ontario) and said that I was living in Gatineau for the time being for economical reasons and that I would move as soon as I landed a job related to my field of studies.

June came and I haven't heard anything which got me a little bit scared so I decided to just move to Ottawa even before I land another job. I moved on July 20th and advised of the change on July 13th using a web form, I tried to use the online service but it wasn't recognizing my file number or UCI so I used a web form to put in the change of address. When using a web form, it doesn't send you an email saying a request went through which made me doubt a little bit but I remembered that I had used it before to request an update on my file and that it didn't notify me via email as well but I know that the request went through because I got a response a few days after giving me updates about my PR file. So after having requested my change of address I just waited patiently.

Yesterday, about a month after I put in the change of address request, I received a letter in my account saying that my PR was refused because the officer wasn't convinced that I was going to move out of Quebec after having received my PR, which made me think that they didn't get my change of address request. I called this morning to check that fact and, with no surprise, the address they have on file is the one in Gatineau. I am thinking about writing a reconsideration letter and submit it using the web forms as I can't do it through my Express Entry file. I read here that it can be done https://www.migrationlaw.com/application-refused-consider-request-reconsideration/ but it doesn't say where to apply for it but I'm going to guess it's through one of the web forms. Now, the web forms not having worked for me in the past, I'm afraid I won't be able to reach the officer through them again this time so I wanted to know if any of you had a similar experience or advice.

Slim
Sorry to hear that. Do you have any screenshot of what you wrote on the webform? If yes, then you can ask them to reconsider it as it's their fault that they didn't receive your webform. I am sure they will reopen your file and accept you as a PR.
You can call them in 1-2 days after you send your webform to confirm if they have received it. You can also explain on the phone that last time you sent a webform, they didn't receive it and declined your PR.

Good luck!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello Everyone,

Slim
It is worth a shot -

Slimou

Aug 12, 2019
Sorry to hear that. Do you have any screenshot of what you wrote on the webform? If yes, then you can ask them to reconsider it as it's their fault that they didn't receive your webform. I am sure they will reopen your file and accept you as a PR.
You can call them in 1-2 days after you send your webform to confirm if they have received it. You can also explain on the phone that last time you sent a webform, they didn't receive it and declined your PR.

Good luck!!
Unfortunately, I didn't think of taking a screenshot when I did it, I will obviously do it for this time and I will be calling them pretty much every day to make sure it gets through. I will also be adding my bail as well as other documents that prove that I have indeed moved which I didn't do last time because nowhere did it say that it was necessary.
Thank you, I hope it goes well. I have been living in Canada for 8 years now and I don't want my PR to be refused because of some sort of bug.

Slimou

Aug 12, 2019
Hi, what is your latest update ?
Hi, after my PR was refused I sent a letter for reconsideration with more documentation. However, the request for reconsideration was also refused and I was told that if I wanted the information I gave in my reconsideration letter to be taken into account, I had to submit a new PR application and pay the fees again. So I did that and now I'm waiting.

FoodGatherer

Star Member
Dec 6, 2019
sorry to hear that. I got refusal because I could not offer strong proof of my intent to leave Quebec. Unfortunate! However, I received a job offer two weeks after the rejection. I sent a webform raising CSE with job offer. Now I am waiting. How long it took to get a response from CIC for your CSE? Did you have to get new police certificates for your new application?

Slimou

Aug 12, 2019
It took 2 weeks to get a response. I did not have to give police certificates in my PR at all, which is weird because my sister and I applied at the same time, they asked her hers but not mine. Also, her PR was accepted and mine wasn't, though we were in the exact same situation so I guess everything really does depend on the agent.
Yeah, I read your case, hopefully, you'll be luckier than I was.
If you understand french, here is what they told me after I sent my request for reconsideration.
"Après avoir examiné vos observations supplémentaires, la décision initiale de refuser votre demande demeure inchangée.
Si vous désirez que ces renseignements soient pris en considération, ou si vous possédez des renseignements additionnels ou différents, ils doivent être soumis en accompagnement d’une nouvelle demande et vous devez acquitter de nouveau les frais requis."

FoodGatherer

Star Member
Dec 6, 2019
It took 2 weeks to get a response. I did not have to give police certificates in my PR at all, which is weird because my sister and I applied at the same time, they asked her hers but not mine. Also, her PR was accepted and mine wasn't, though we were in the exact same situation so I guess everything really does depend on the agent.
Yeah, I read your case, hopefully, you'll be luckier than I was.
If you understand french, here is what they told me after I sent my request for reconsideration.
"Après avoir examiné vos observations supplémentaires, la décision initiale de refuser votre demande demeure inchangée.
Si vous désirez que ces renseignements soient pris en considération, ou si vous possédez des renseignements additionnels ou différents, ils doivent être soumis en accompagnement d’une nouvelle demande et vous devez acquitter de nouveau les frais requis."
OK. I guess some agents do not have compassion or common sense even if you show your case was genuine. Do you think your new application is progressing fast than last time?

Slimou

Aug 12, 2019
Hard to say, as you know, nothing really happens for the first few months except them saying I passed the medical exam. Thus far, that's the only update I had.

Slimou

Aug 12, 2019
Figured I'd give an update: After restarting the whole PR process. After a few other obstacles (such as Canada Post losing my passport before finding it), my application was accepted, it took a little bit more than 3 months.