+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refusal after sponsorship default???anyone

N

noora73

Hi
Is there anyone who got refused for parental sponsorship because he/she or their spouse broke the undertaking of previous sponsorship?
i read cases where couples seperated and one gone on welfare.anyone where couple did not seperated but case got refused?any case?
Just wondering does cic rejects cases on this base?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Yes. If a co-signer defaults on a previous sponsorship, they cannot be part of a new undertaking. So if you are depending on the income of your spouse to meet the LICO, and they defaulted on a previous sponsorship, you will not be accepted to sponsor.

N

noora73

Thank you for your reply,But how do we know we are defaulted or not? I guess mosty people do not know what other partner did or sometim they geet the letters from provincial authorities.anyon out there with this experience?I would really appreciate anyone who has firsthand experience of refusal or acceptance after default.thanks

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noora73 said:
Thank you for your reply,But how do we know we are defaulted or not? I guess mosty people do not know what other partner did or sometim they geet the letters from provincial authorities.anyon out there with this experience?I would really appreciate anyone who has firsthand experience of refusal or acceptance after default.thanks
Are you saying you do not know if your sponsored spouse received welfare? But you are not separated? I'm sorry, I don't understand. I would assume if you are asking this question that you know that your spouse received welfare and that you have defaulted on the sponsorship agreement. Check out Canlii.org for plenty of caselaw of refusals where the sponsor defaulted. There are lots.

N

noora73

Hi
What i want to say is after my sponsorship ,after 15 months we had to go on social assisstance together.govt use to take 50 bucks for recovery oer penalty.Then we asked them to stop the social assistance and both of us are working now fo last 6 years.But no govt agency contacted us for any amount?So should i consider us default?I am the sponsor now.what are our chances for approval of sponsorship.How I can fix this?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Contact the office, ask them to check your records. You may need to go in person, sometimes they won't give that information on the phone. Make sure you find out your status FIRST and do whatever you need to, make an arrangement to pay back anything owing or pay it off in full at once. Even if your sponsorship is rejected, at an appeal you can present evidence that you took steps to correct the default. By the way, yes, you are in default, they went on welfare within the undertaking period. You need to find out if the recovery amount was enough to completely cover all that was given to your sponsored family members.

parents2017

Dec 1, 2016
Hi
What i want to say is after my sponsorship ,after 15 months we had to go on social assisstance together.govt use to take 50 bucks for recovery oer penalty.Then we asked them to stop the social assistance and both of us are working now fo last 6 years.But no govt agency contacted us for any amount?So should i consider us default?I am the sponsor now.what are our chances for approval of sponsorship.How I can fix this?
Hi, i was in the similar situation. I paid everything back and cic saying cosigner is in default. What do i do ?what happened with your application ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, i was in the similar situation. I paid everything back and cic saying cosigner is in default. What do i do ?what happened with your application ?
Did you pay everything back including what your co-signer owes?

parents2017

Dec 1, 2016
Did you pay everything back including what your co-signer owes?
Hi, My wife sponsored me in 2011 while she was on Disability benefits (not the unemployment or other social benefits). I came to Canada and ODSP asked my wife about my information (Landing Paper, Passport etc). After two months in Canada and i got the job and i have never been unemployed and never applied for any sort of benefits. Since my wife and i both have been working and together make almost 140k a year, my wife was not eligible for Disability benefits after i joined her.

Now IRCC is saying my wife owes money because i got the benefits within undertaking period. My wife called ODSP/ORU and found that during my first two months in Canada, when i was looking for job and at the same time applying for SIN and getting my drivers licence etc, ODSP paid more benefits to my wife because she had sponsored me. the benefits my wife got also had small portion for me.

We had no idea how this works and now IRCC is not considering her as co-signer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, My wife sponsored me in 2011 while she was on Disability benefits (not the unemployment or other social benefits). I came to Canada and ODSP asked my wife about my information (Landing Paper, Passport etc). After two months in Canada and i got the job and i have never been unemployed and never applied for any sort of benefits. Since my wife and i both have been working and together make almost 140k a year, my wife was not eligible for Disability benefits after i joined her.

Now IRCC is saying my wife owes money because i got the benefits within undertaking period. My wife called ODSP/ORU and found that during my first two months in Canada, when i was looking for job and at the same time applying for SIN and getting my drivers licence etc, ODSP paid more benefits to my wife because she had sponsored me. the benefits my wife got also had small portion for me.

We had no idea how this works and now IRCC is not considering her as co-signer.
Did your wife notify ODSP when you got married even when you weren’t in Canada?

parents2017

Dec 1, 2016
Did your wife notify ODSP when you got married even when you weren’t in Canada?
@canuck78 @scylla

Yes, my wife did notify them but ODSP insisted that these are not social assistance benefits that she is receiving instead these are disability benefits. We never thought that the first two months will bite us after so long and never know that there is a portion for me in those benefits. Her portion is considered disability benefits and my portion is considered social assistance. It might probably be 400 dollar altogether that will have to pay back, but created lot of problem for us.

I got into the parents lottery after trying for 3 years, and now the letter says the sponsorship is not successful and they have forwarded the Permanent Residence application to Local Visa office and 'Sponsorship being Unsuccessful' will play significant role in the final decision.

I am thinking to contact local MP and explain them the situation and meanwhile clear out anything that is owed.

Please guide me if there is anything else i should do.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@canuck78 @scylla

Yes, my wife did notify them but ODSP insisted that these are not social assistance benefits that she is receiving instead these are disability benefits. We never thought that the first two months will bite us after so long and never know that there is a portion for me in those benefits. Her portion is considered disability benefits and my portion is considered social assistance. It might probably be 400 dollar altogether that will have to pay back, but created lot of problem for us.

I got into the parents lottery after trying for 3 years, and now the letter says the sponsorship is not successful and they have forwarded the Permanent Residence application to Local Visa office and 'Sponsorship being Unsuccessful' will play significant role in the final decision.

I am thinking to contact local MP and explain them the situation and meanwhile clear out anything that is owed.

Thanks
Pay the money that is owed as soon as possible and send evidence to IRCC that this is done.

Hzyfa256

Nov 3, 2019
@canuck78 @scylla

Thanks
Hello how was ur case resolved?My wife is having a debt with social assistance.She moved from Ontario to Edmonton without notifying Ontario works so they told her to pay the way.Will that money affect our spouse sponsorship since it's not related with previous sponsorship

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello how was ur case resolved?My wife is having a debt with social assistance.She moved from Ontario to Edmonton without notifying Ontario works so they told her to pay the way.Will that money affect our spouse sponsorship since it's not related with previous sponsorship
Yes it will still affect sponsorship. You have to prove that you can support yourselves without government help. If you have a large debt from social services from many years ago which you don’t seem to be paying back there are concerns about your ability to support yourselves. If you can pay off the debt you should pay it off ASAP. At the very least you need to arrange a payment plan and start paying consistently and decrease the balance.