+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reentry to Canada on Student VISA

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
Hi!

-My student visa and study permit expire on July 30, 2012.

-I will be finishing my current program in April 30, 2012.

-I also got enrolled into a new MBA program which starts in September 2012. I plan to continue in the MBA program after I finish my current program. This MBA program is in another province (Newfoundland). I am currently studying in Edmonton, Alberta

However, after I finish my current program I plan to go back home for two months from May-June, 2012 and then reenter Canada with my existing student visa and study permit.

The problem I have is-- Can I renter Canada on my EXISTING student visa and study permit? Will I still be able to reenter Canada, say in June 2012 even when I will only have one month in my visa and my study permit remaining?

Also, I will also be reentering from a different port of entry (St John's) whereas my current program as it states in my student visa is at Edmonton. Will this create a problem?

My visitor visa is valid for multiple entry.

I plan to apply for an extension of my study permit in July 2012 after I renter Canada.

Can admins and senior members advise me if it is permissible to reenter Canada a month before your student visa and study permit expire? Can I reenter Canada with an old student visa to enroll in a new institution? I would highly appreciate advice regarding my predicament.

Thank you.

Concerned international student.

bilal007

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Visa Office......
islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24th feb
Med's Request
17th may
Med's Done....
18th may
VISA ISSUED...
5th august
LANDED..........
23 september
i will suggest you not to go back and re enter with just a one month visa validity.what you can do and i suggest is to do extension first and then after you get extension you can go back with ease.may be i dont have much knowledge but i know a guy who went back and cannot enter again .he applied for extension and then came back to canada after 3/4 months. do some research may be some one senior can help u with this.

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
bilal007 said:
i will suggest you not to go back and re enter with just a one month visa validity.what you can do and i suggest is to do extension first and then after you get extension you can go back with ease.may be i dont have much knowledge but i know a guy who went back and cannot enter again .he applied for extension and then came back to canada after 3/4 months. do some research may be some one senior can help u with this.

Thank you for your reply Bilal.

But it takes time to reapply for your TRV (like 2-3 months?). And you cant even reapply for a new TRV until your old one expires? Mine expires on July 30th. I probably wont even have a new TRV before September. My new program starts on September 1st. And obviously there is no going back in September. Well, unless I reapply for the TRV from back home around May-June which I don't wanna risk.

By the time I reapply for a new TRV from Canada my summer vacation will unfortunately be over. And I will have to move on to the next program without getting to go home. I really want to go back home for a few months. It feels like I have been away for a really, really long time. :-\

It would be great if I could just enter with the old TRV and renew the study permit after. But this looks risky too. I dont know what to do. Maybe the senior members will advise.

acca247

Mar 28, 2011
Visa Office......
CDHC,LAGOS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
RECEIVED ON 4TH APRIL,2011
IELTS Request
NOT REQUIRED
Med's Request
13TH JULY,2011
Med's Done....
26TH JULY,2011
Interview........
4TH JULY,2011
Passport Req..
SUBMITTED TO CDHC ON 27TH JULY,2011
PLEASE EXTEND YOUR VISA BEFORE YOU GO HOME!!!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Supernova said:
Hi!

-My student visa and study permit expire on July 30, 2012.

-I will be finishing my current program in April 30, 2012.

-I also got enrolled into a new MBA program which starts in September 2012. I plan to continue in the MBA program after I finish my current program. This MBA program is in another province (Newfoundland). I am currently studying in Edmonton, Alberta

However, after I finish my current program I plan to go back home for two months from May-June, 2012 and then reenter Canada with my existing student visa and study permit.

The problem I have is-- Can I renter Canada on my EXISTING student visa and study permit? Will I still be able to reenter Canada, say in June 2012 even when I will only have one month in my visa and my study permit remaining?

Also, I will also be reentering from a different port of entry (St John's) whereas my current program as it states in my student visa is at Edmonton. Will this create a problem?

My visitor visa is valid for multiple entry.

I plan to apply for an extension of my study permit in July 2012 after I renter Canada.

Can admins and senior members advise me if it is permissible to reenter Canada a month before your student visa and study permit expire? Can I reenter Canada with an old student visa to enroll in a new institution? I would highly appreciate advice regarding my predicament.

Thank you.

Concerned international student.
Hi,

1. With a valid study permit + passport + TRV, you can enter/re-enter Canada from any Port of Entry (even if only few days left in it's expiry).
2. Must apply for the renewal/extension of study permit before the expiry of the current one. Better to apply 30 days in advance.

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
enfield said:
Hi,

1. With a valid study permit + passport + TRV, you can enter/re-enter Canada from any Port of Entry (even if only few days left in it's expiry).
2. Must apply for the renewal/extension of study permit before the expiry of the current one. Better to apply 30 days in advance.

Thank you for your reply Enfield.

-My main concern is that the visa was awarded for my previous institution, not for the one I am planning on attending.

-Also the time of 1 month remaining on the student visa when I re-enter Canada also has created some doubts in my mind about whether or not I will be allowed back in.

I have heard some people say that the old TRV should be valid for entry, while some say that I need a new TRV.

I have yet to receive an authoritative answer to this one.

Thank you again for your reply.

Also, thank you for replying Acca!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Supernova said:
Thank you for your reply Enfield.

-My main concern is that the visa has awarded for my previous institution, not for the one I am planning on attending.

-Also the time of 1 month remaining on the student visa when I re-enter Canada also has created some doubts in my mind about whether or not I will be allowed back in.

I have heard some people say that the old TRV should be valid for entry, while some say that I need a new TRV.

I have yet to receive an authoritative answer to this one.

Thank you again for your reply.

Also, thank you for replying Acca!
Hi,

1. Really doesn't matter.
2. Once again, you can enter.
3. In your case, apply for the new TRV ONLY IF; current TRV is NOT a multiple TRV, OR it's a multiple one but expired.

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
enfield said:
Hi,

1. Really doesn't matter.
2. Once again, you can enter.
3. In your case, apply for the new TRV ONLY IF; current TRV is NOT a multiple TRV, OR it's a multiple one but expired.
Thank you Enfield. You were absolutely right!

I called CIC and spoke with an agent and they corroborated what you said. However, I need to enter Canada 30 days before my TRV and study permits expire to give a reasonable time frame to have my study permit renewed.

I am so relieved! I have been in Canada for many years now and living alone for many years was getting to me. Now I can go back, and clear my head, recharge the batteries before I start the next program.

Thank you everybody for your advice!

:)

CostaRica

Nov 25, 2012
Hello,

I am in a very similar situation:

-My student visa and study permit expire on July 31, 2013.

-I will be finishing my current program in April 30, 2013.

-I will then apply to a post grad work permit to be able to work in Canada after July 2013

I was planning on leaving Canada for a week in July (from the 8th to the 15th) but I am scared Canadian immigration will not let me in, because I am technically no longer a student.

I was wondering if you had any advice on this? Also what department did you talked to when you called CIC? I want to make sure to call the right place.

Thank you very much!

mohdrasool

Oct 10, 2017
Hello,

could any one please tell me that since colleges were on strike and hence withdrawal is taken from college and as per cic.gc.ca if a student is enrolled for September 2018, and want to keep the status as student then they have options as leave canada and return back for September with the same study permit.
How many days prior to intake can one come as student have valid current study permit and TRV..

So is it ok if a student return back in May last week with current study permit for september intake????