+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recovery Benefit???

cbcguy

Apr 16, 2020
Hi all, I heard about the recovery benefit that will be available soon and I was wondering I'm qualified for it.

In June of this year 2020, I made about 6000 dollars cash as a contractor painting walls and fixed doors, windows lights and stuff like that. I don't have a company or a licensed business owner. I have the skills so I just post myself on kijiji.
Last month til now I couldn't find any contract jobs, so I was wondering if this Recovery benefit thing would help me out a bit? I am also looking for work as well. I don't qualify for Ei anymore as well.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, I heard about the recovery benefit that will be available soon and I was wondering I'm qualified for it.

In June of this year 2020, I made about 6000 dollars cash as a contractor painting walls and fixed doors, windows lights and stuff like that. I don't have a company or a licensed business owner. I have the skills so I just post myself on kijiji.
Last month til now I couldn't find any contract jobs, so I was wondering if this Recovery benefit thing would help me out a bit? I am also looking for work as well. I don't qualify for Ei anymore as well.

Thanks!
If you work under the table for cash then you don’t qualify for programs.

limits

May 13, 2015

Thanks!
Yes you do, make sure to declare that income (hopefully you have some proof in case of audit like invoice / bill of sale) on your next tax return though.

Reactions: nayr69sg

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you do, make sure to declare that income (hopefully you have some proof in case of audit like invoice / bill of sale) on your next tax return though.
We need more information before saying they qualify. Do you have proof you have been applying for work? Posting about cash services is not enough. Are you on PGWP? Is it still valid?

limits

May 13, 2015
We need more information before saying they qualify. Do you have proof you have been applying for work? Posting about cash services is not enough. Are you on PGWP? Is it still valid?
There's no real way for them to verify any of that (minus the legal status which I am assuming he has), the only thing they can ask you for to validate is invoices, bill of sales and possibly bank statements showing proof that you earned those $5,000. It states that on the CRA website FAQ for CRB as well.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017

Thanks!
You could apply and make those declarations.

But if the income you make is all cash and you have never declared that as income to CRA and paid tax on it in previous years you might get into trouble later on.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There's no real way for them to verify any of that (minus the legal status which I am assuming he has), the only thing they can ask you for to validate is invoices, bill of sales and possibly bank statements showing proof that you earned those $5,000. It states that on the CRA website FAQ for CRB as well.
Whether you have been looking for work is one of the questions on the application and you can be asked to provide proof that you have been applying for positions. Given the lack of reported work to the government since OP quit his job this file could be flagged for more information required soon after applying or in the future. In general I would expect that there will be more pressure put on people to show they are actively trying to get back into work because Canada can't afford to keep hemorrhaging money. Putting an ad up in kijiji will not be considered as enough proof of seeking employment. I would also keep a record of all the application you submit and any interviews you have so you do have a record if you are asked to provide proof.

limits

May 13, 2015
Whether you have been looking for work is one of the questions on the application and you can be asked to provide proof that you have been applying for positions. Given the lack of reported work to the government since OP quit his job this file could be flagged for more information required soon after applying or in the future. In general I would expect that there will be more pressure put on people to show they are actively trying to get back into work because Canada can't afford to keep hemorrhaging money. Putting an ad up in kijiji will not be considered as enough proof of seeking employment. I would also keep a record of all the application you submit and any interviews you have so you do have a record if you are asked to provide proof.
My advice to him would be to still apply even if he doesn’t satisfy the ‘looking for work’ criteria 100%. It’s quite vague in the first place and he likely won’t be penalized even if they decide later on that he wasn’t eligible. Worst case scenario is he might have to pay it back, best case scenario is he gets to keep it so it’s a better financial decision for him to apply especially considering he meets most of the criteria anyway.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
My advice to him would be to still apply even if he doesn’t satisfy the ‘looking for work’ criteria 100%. It’s quite vague in the first place and he likely won’t be penalized even if they decide later on that he wasn’t eligible. Worst case scenario is he might have to pay it back, best case scenario is he gets to keep it so it’s a better financial decision for him to apply especially considering he meets most of the criteria anyway.
The current prime minister is very charitable and wants to help as many as possible. Just wondering where the money is coming from.

Maybe we can sell some of those statues people keep wanting to tear down. I am sure some private individuals would love to have them in their own garden or home.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The current prime minister is very charitable and wants to help as many as possible. Just wondering where the money is coming from.

Maybe we can sell some of those statues people keep wanting to tear down. I am sure some private individuals would love to have them in their own garden or home.
Charity has nothing to do with it . It’s called “ Vote buying “