+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-applying for Working Holiday for second year in Canada

Jan 10, 2011
Hi, I am Irish and already in Canada on a working holiday visa. It is up in Sept and I am applying for PM, so I want to get the second yr to stay while waiting for PM to come through. Does anyone have any info on how to go about applying even though my current visa hasn't expired yet? And if this is even possible? I really need some feedback from anyone who knows about this or who is doing the same.

Thanks alot!!

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Hi,

As far as I know the WH visa is definitely only a one time thing, you can't get it extended or apply for another (unless it's for another country). However, it may be possible to apply for a change in Status to a visitor visa. Also, since you are from a visa exempt country it is possible that you could leave the country for a little while and re-enter and then you could stay for 6 months as a visitor and then apply for an extension if your PR hasn't come through yet. Of course, you wouldn't be able to work with a visitor visa. Other than that, I suppose you could look into a Student visa or something like that. You should check out the CIC website and see what kind of temporary visas they have and if any suite your needs.

Dec 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2011
AOR Received.
31-01-2011
File Transfer...
09-02-2011
Med's Done....
27-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2011
LANDED..........
17-06-2011
sidkrose said:
As far as I know the WH visa is definitely only a one time thing
Not true, they changed it to two years for Brits although I'm not sure about Irish. It does however take 4 - 6 weeks, I think, for it to be issued/approved and I think you need to apply in your home country. In the meantime, you could apply for a visitor permit either by going to the USA and coming back (assuming they let you back in) or maybe even by doing on online visitor status renewal (and changing your status to that of a visitor).

Good luck

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Ah, ok, last I heard it was only a one year thing, but that was a couple of years ago.

cobra

Star Member
Jan 2, 2011
Visa Office......
London uk
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
sbell.stephens said:
Hi, I am Irish and already in Canada on a working holiday visa. It is up in Sept and I am applying for PM, so I want to get the second yr to stay while waiting for PM to come through. Does anyone have any info on how to go about applying even though my current visa hasn't expired yet? And if this is even possible? I really need some feedback from anyone who knows about this or who is doing the same.

Thanks alot!!
If you are under 30, or 31 cant remember which, you could apply for IEC visa, they came out january and im not sure if ireland has their own allowance from englands but I recently got mine. I am on a BUNAC visa right now which expires june and I will activate new IEC visa while I wait for PR

Jan 10, 2011
Cobra,
I saw on the web site that the extension included Ireland. I'm just not sure when to apply for it. Could I apply now and then activate it in sept when my current one expires?

Dec 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2011
AOR Received.
31-01-2011
File Transfer...
09-02-2011
Med's Done....
27-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2011
LANDED..........
17-06-2011
cobra said:
If you are under 30, or 31 cant remember which, you could apply for IEC visa, they came out january and im not sure if ireland has their own allowance from englands but I recently got mine. I am on a BUNAC visa right now which expires june and I will activate new IEC visa while I wait for PR
I remember reading that the age limit was 35 for Irish nationals but 30 for the UK

Avalon

Nov 17, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sbell.stephens said:
Cobra,
I saw on the web site that the extension included Ireland. I'm just not sure when to apply for it. Could I apply now and then activate it in sept when my current one expires?
My son's common law spouse is from the UK, she just got her extension through, you should apply at least 2 months before your current visa expires. Are you applying for Permanent residency under the Common Law Spousal Class? If so, you have to indicate this on your application for an extension.

cobra

Star Member
Jan 2, 2011
Visa Office......
London uk
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
sbell.stephens said:
Cobra,
I applied for mine even though my current one hasn't expired. They sent me it via email and i just activate it once my current one expires. so yes you could do the same and just activate it in september. If you are applying for the IEC visa i'd do it asap because they only allocate each country a certain amount and once they're gone, thats it for that year until the following january.

cobra

Star Member
Jan 2, 2011
Visa Office......
London uk
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
also I know with the IEC visa you can apply from canada because I know people who have done it. so you wouldn't need to leave canada to do it

DQU1NN

Jan 8, 2012
Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows is it the same lengthly process of apllication filling for a second one year visa! I thaught that cause I already had the first one year working holiday visa the second was much easier to get and I presumed I pretty much already had it! I'm starting to pannick now cause Ireland are only allocatted 5000 visas I think, I thaught because I'm already in Canada my second year visa would almost be a sure thing! I would appreciate any information anyone has on applying for visa within Canada! A

cobra said:
also I know with the IEC visa you can apply from canada because I know people who have done it. so you wouldn't need to leave canada to do it

DQU1NN

Jan 8, 2012
Hey I was just wondering if you knows is it the same lengthly process of apllication filling for a second one year visa! I thaught that cause I already had the first one year working holiday visa the second was much easier to get and I presumed I pretty much already had it! I'm starting to pannick now cause Ireland are only allocatted 5000 visas I think, I thaught because I'm already in Canada my second year visa would almost be a sure thing! I would appreciate any information you have on applying for visa within Canada!
Cheers Dan

sbell.stephens said:

Thanks alot!!

cobra

Star Member
Jan 2, 2011
Visa Office......
London uk
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
If you are talking about the iec visa still then yes it's the same process. I just sent mine off. I am on the iec visa now and am waiting for pr to come through so had to apply for a second iec visa for when my currents one expires. I got a new police certificate and filld out all the application forms again and then you need passport photos again etc etc. I know that it changed slightly as last year it had to be sent to Paris then Londonbut they eliminated the Paris section as I think they realised it was pointless.

DQU1NN

Jan 8, 2012
Cheers man, yeah my dad at home just got my police cert today and I filled out most of the paperwork last weekend! Thinks are looking a bit better now cause Ireland actually got 5350 visas and today there are only 200 gone so I should be good! Another question, will I need to leave Canada and re enter on new visa! I had planned in going to Vegas with my brother in London but he might not be able to go now so I'm weighing up my options! Cheers for help man

figgy

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
24-09-2012
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
23-06-2012
Passport Req..
10-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2013
LANDED..........
12-01-2013
my Aussie boyfriend is here on his 2 year working holiday visa until we get his perm. residency approved. his expires june 2013 so we are hoping that is enough time, but if not we are in the same boat as you and will need to renew.

i have heard you only need to cross the border and back again, even in the same day. i had a friend in vancouver cross into Seattle for the day then back into canada. our plan is to go to Buffalo since we are in toronto