App. Filed.......
19/05/2010
AOR Received.
08/07/2010
File Transfer...
22/06/2010
Med's Done....
05/07/2010
My Husband was granted PR status in December -- we've been in Canada since that time.. re-establishing ourselves.. my question is...
I was offered a position in Dubai -- and need to relocate there -- it is possible to move the entire family there -- and have the time spent in Dubai work towards his PR status? towards his citizenship? --

Thanks!

Also I could maintain residency in Canada -- since Dubai is tax free no taxes right? :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If this company is Canadian, then it would maintain your PR residency obligation but not towards your Citizenship. Citizenship requires physical residence.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jillandmat said:
My Husband was granted PR status in December -- we've been in Canada since that time.. re-establishing ourselves.. my question is...
I was offered a position in Dubai -- and need to relocate there -- it is possible to move the entire family there -- and have the time spent in Dubai work towards his PR status? towards his citizenship? --

Thanks!

Also I could maintain residency in Canada -- since Dubai is tax free no taxes right? :)
Are you a Canadian citizen? If so, then your husband will retain his PR status so long as he's living with you outside of Canada. As steaky mentioned, this will count towards PR status only. He needs to be physically in Canada to accummulate days for citizenship.

jillandmat

Star Member
Jun 25, 2010
Costa Azul
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/05/2010
AOR Received.
08/07/2010
File Transfer...
22/06/2010
Med's Done....
05/07/2010
yeh i am a canadian citizen....

ok so just PR status.. thats ok .. not residency.. so does he just apply for a new card once its done? and we just prove that we've been together?

Also what if he were to stay in canada with our canadian citizen children... does that count too?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jillandmat said:
yeh i am a canadian citizen....

ok so just PR status.. thats ok .. not residency.. so does he just apply for a new card once its done? and we just prove that we've been together?

Also what if he were to stay in canada with our canadian citizen children... does that count too?
He needs to be in Canada to apply for a new PR card so that is as bit tricky, especially as the processing can take months but if you can't stay in Canada for a few months for him to renew his card, he could get a travel document to return if his PR card is expired by then. It would also be possible to make two trips to Canada, one to apply for a new PR card and a 2nd one to pick it up when it is ready. If he applies for a new PR card well before the old one expires, he might not even need a travel document because he can travel on his old card to pick up the new one.

As for your last question, if he is staying in Canada there is no problem so I assume you meant if he is staying in Dubai with the children and the answer to that is no. The wording is actually "accompanying". Since he is the one who got the job in Dubai, you are actually accompanying him and not the other way around. Usually immigration does not make a distinction with married couples who is accompanying whom although I have heard of it and so you know it is possible that a cranky immigration officer will say that he should not keep his PR because he was the one who got the job in Dubai so you are accompanying him and not the other way around but he can definitely not keep his PR due to him having taken his children with him. He is not accompanying the children, they are accompanying him. However, he only needs 2 years in a 5 year period so as long as he always has 730 days either in Canada or with you in Dubai in any 5 year period, he should be ok.

jillandmat

Star Member
Jun 25, 2010
Costa Azul
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/05/2010
AOR Received.
08/07/2010
File Transfer...
22/06/2010
Med's Done....
05/07/2010
its me who has the job.

ok that should be ok :) ---- I think we'll be ok :)

ok one thing checked off :)