+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding Sponsorship

redtape

Jun 21, 2006
Hello, I am married to a Thai national and we have recently had our first child together. My daughters 'proof of citizenship certificate' is already in the works and I would like to now start the application for my wife's sponsorship of a permanent residency visa. My wife and daughter live in Thailand at the moment. I dont really live anywhere I suppose...well I live in Canada but have been gone since May 2005. Since then I have been travelling around Asia with a large amount of time being spent in Thailand. I have a few questions hopefully you can help me with...

What is the best course of action for me to sponsor my wife's permanent residency visa?

Is it possible to sponsor my wife while I am not in Canada?

Is it possible for my parents to co-sponsor or solely sponsor my wife if the above is an issue?

Thank you for any helpful information.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

redtape said:
Hello, I am married to a Thai national and we have recently had our first child together. My daughters 'proof of citizenship certificate' is already in the works and I would like to now start the application for my wife's sponsorship of a permanent residency visa. My wife and daughter live in Thailand at the moment. I dont really live anywhere I suppose...well I live in Canada but have been gone since May 2005. Since then I have been travelling around Asia with a large amount of time being spent in Thailand. I have a few questions hopefully you can help me with...

What is the best course of action for me to sponsor my wife's permanent residency visa?

Is it possible to sponsor my wife while I am not in Canada?

Is it possible for my parents to co-sponsor or solely sponsor my wife if the above is an issue?

Thank you for any helpful information.
1. You have a choice, you being a Canadian, can submit the sponsorship with your wifes application to Mississauga with the medical and PCC and the application will be returned and processed in Singapore. You will have to include a statement "that once your spouse is issued a copr, you will be returning to Canada with her. In that statement you should include your plans as to work/school/accommodation.
2. You can return to Canada alone and submit the sponsorship and application as above.
3. Spousal applications can not have a co-sponsor, although you don't have to meet the Low Income Cuffoff, you still must submit the financial docs with the application.

PMM

redtape

Jun 21, 2006
Thank you for the speedy reply. What is the PCC is that the criminal records check? I was a little worried about the financial requirements, what is the Low Income Cutoff? Since I have been travelling for so long, I havent been working for over 18 months now. So as far as proving my income...well I can prove my net assets..but as for income there is none right now. However for the 5 years previous to me travelling the globe I was gainfully employed by various levels of government(municipal/federal). What financial documents can I supply? a paystub from 2 years ago? So it is no problem for my wife and I to complete all applications etc in Thailand and mail them to the appropriate offices in Canada?

redtape

Jun 21, 2006
One more note...Although I havent been home in over a year, Canadian Citizens who are travelling abroad are still deemed to be residents of Canada. So I am technically residing in Canada...just to sort that out....perhaps that negates the need for me to send a statement declaring my intentions to reside wherever and do whatever. Also I noticed on the sponsorship forms that there is a Co-signer...is this not the same as a Co-sponsor?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

redtape said:
One more note...Although I havent been home in over a year, Canadian Citizens who are travelling abroad are still deemed to be residents of Canada. So I am technically residing in Canada...just to sort that out....perhaps that negates the need for me to send a statement declaring my intentions to reside wherever and do whatever. Also I noticed on the sponsorship forms that there is a Co-signer...is this not the same as a Co-sponsor?
1. What CIC considers residence is physical presence, whereas taxation considers conection to Canada. You need the statememnt
2. Yes the PCC is the criminal records check.
3. Co-signer is only where a parental/child sponsorship where the spouse signs, the 1344 is used for those types of sponsorship as well.
4. As long as you are not on welfare, except for disability, you won't be refused as a sponsor, unless it appears that you and spouse will be unable to support yourselfs.
5. I suggest you read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html

PMM

redtape

Jun 21, 2006
Thank you for your speedy replies. I have to appologize for asking a few questions before doing as much research as possible on my own. I have now looked into everything indepth and am ready to start the procedure (ie: gathering supporting documentation, filling out forms, medicals, police checks etc..) After going over all of the forms and lookinig into all of the required supporting documentation needed I have found myself left with quite a few questions ranging from specifics on forms to uncertainties on certain requirements and so on. Is it possible for me to correspond with you via email about these questions or should i just make up one very lengthy public post?

Thanks again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

redtape said:
Thank you for your speedy replies. I have to appologize for asking a few questions before doing as much research as possible on my own. I have now looked into everything indepth and am ready to start the procedure (ie: gathering supporting documentation, filling out forms, medicals, police checks etc..) After going over all of the forms and lookinig into all of the required supporting documentation needed I have found myself left with quite a few questions ranging from specifics on forms to uncertainties on certain requirements and so on. Is it possible for me to correspond with you via email about these questions or should i just make up one very lengthy public post?

Thanks again.
Not my board, I just answer the questions that I can, public post is best, as you might get other opinions and answers.

PMM

redtape

Jun 21, 2006
Okay well here goes, like I said there are alot of questions. I will just shoot a couple of them at a time out there.

1. To clarify, a CO-SIGNER is only used for a spouse when you are sponsoring a dependant child for PR? and not to be used for a spousal sponsorship.

2. Regarding the Medical Examination, this can be done upfront and sent in with the application package correct.
---Do you simply print the form from the website and take it to a certified doctor in your area, on your own time, anytime before sending in the finalized application package?
---What is the cost (roughly) of the medical exam?
---Who has to have the medical? The primary applicant and family members (dependant children) We have a 9 year old daughter and a newborn (2months) are they required to have a medical?

3. Regarding the Police Certification, Can this be done prior to sending in the finalized application? This is region specific and for our region it states that a 'Letter of Request' needs to be issued from the High Consulate in order to have the check performed.
---How do I go about getting this letter of request?
---This only applies to the pimary applicant correct? not the children?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info you can all give. More to come in the future when Im clear on the above. Most of my questions are to clarify details about certain sections of certain forms etc.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

redtape said:
Okay well here goes, like I said there are alot of questions. I will just shoot a couple of them at a time out there.

1. To clarify, a CO-SIGNER is only used for a spouse when you are sponsoring a dependant child for PR? and not to be used for a spousal sponsorship.

Yes

2. Regarding the Medical Examination, this can be done upfront and sent in with the application package correct.

Yes, spousal applications should submit the medical and PCCs with the application

---Do you simply print the form from the website and take it to a certified doctor in your area, on your own time, anytime before sending in the finalized application package?

The local DMP will have the IMM 1017 for medical exam, you need to complete Appendix D.

---What is the cost (roughly) of the medical exam?

No idea, phone the DMPs on the list.

---Who has to have the medical? The primary applicant and family members (dependant children) We have a 9 year old daughter and a newborn (2months) are they required to have a medical?

If the children are Canadian, ie one of their parents was a Canadian when born, then they don't require a medical, otherwise they do.

3. Regarding the Police Certification, Can this be done prior to sending in the finalized application? This is region specific and for our region it states that a 'Letter of Request' needs to be issued from the High Consulate in order to have the check performed.

Submit the application and sponsorship to Mississauga and when the application is sent to Singapore, they should sent a letter to you so that you can obtain the PCC in Thailand, you can try to obtain one without the letter if you want, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/police-cert/asia-pacific/thailand.html

---How do I go about getting this letter of request?
---This only applies to the pimary applicant correct? not the children?

The children are under 18 and don't require a PCC.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info you can all give. More to come in the future when Im clear on the above. Most of my questions are to clarify details about certain sections of certain forms etc.

If you are not the parent of both children, then don't forget to include a copy of the custody document if any for those that you aren't the father with the application.
PMM

redtape

Jun 21, 2006
So for the medical the DMP will have the forms needed..okay. One child (9year old) is from a previous 'relationship' if you can call it that. The newborn is born to me and her proof of citizenship certificate is in the works.

---Will that be an issue should her proof of citizenship certificate be included in the application? If so that will delay everything a great deal as the application was only submited about 1.5 months ago.

---Our 9 year old's father was never in the picture (they werent married) so there is no documentation that i can think of that we can provide. My wife has been in sole custody of her for her entire life. What should be said/done provided in this situation?

---I know that the medical is good for 1 year, but how long is the police certification valid for?
---Would it be best to wait for an issue from the high consulate or completely acceptable to go to them without the letter of recommendation?
---Also what are the requirements of the photo's you submit for the police clearance...passport specifications, immigration specifications...personal photos?

Thanks again for the speedy helpful advice