+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding soft landing.

bmansi

Jul 10, 2018
I am planning to fly from California to Vancouver airport to complete the landing facilities for my PR and then planning to fly to India on the same day at night.

- I was reading that I need IM-1 visa to fly to Canada. How to get IM-1 or where do I apply for that visa?

Edit: My passport got the IM-1 stamp. Didn't realize that's the visa for entry. But still have the below questions.

- Since I am catching another flight from Vancouver airport, will I need some sort of transit visa too? I am not going to enter into the city, but will spend entire day on the airport.

- Also, if you don't know anyone in Canada i.e. don't have a Canada address, how to get the PR card mailed to US?

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am planning to fly from California to Vancouver airport to complete the landing facilities for my PR and then planning to fly to India on the same day at night.

- I was reading that I need IM-1 visa to fly to Canada. How to get IM-1 or where do I apply for that visa?

Edit: My passport got the IM-1 stamp. Didn't realize that's the visa for entry. But still have the below questions.

- Since I am catching another flight from Vancouver airport, will I need some sort of transit visa too? I am not going to enter into the city, but will spend entire day on the airport.

- Also, if you don't know anyone in Canada i.e. don't have a Canada address, how to get the PR card mailed to US?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/first-landing-in-canada-after-pr-queries.515982/

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Note that IRCC will not mail a PR card outside of Canada even to the US. You either need a Candian address of a friend/relative or wait until you setlle in Canada and apply for one then.

Once you are a PR then without a PR card you will need a PRTD to fly back into Canada as you will not be able to baord a plane without.

You do not need a transit visa but suggest you check how your luggage will be handled whether it will be checked all the way through (more than likely) so you do not need to collect and drop at connections desk . In theory when you do a PR landing you should pass through customs and declare your goods to follow not sure how that works with an international transit having not done that.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015

Once you land as a PR. You become a permanent resident. You are not really 'transiting'. So you don't need any Visa.

You do need a Canadian address to receive PR card. If you don't have it immediately, you have up to 6 months to provide it. In the meanwhile if you want to travel to Canada by a commercial carrier such as airline, you will need to apply for PRTD at a Canadian consulate/visa office abroad. If you travel to Canada via US land border, you don't need PR card or PRTD.
See above.