+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question

Home_13579

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
I have a question.

My spouse previously had PR. But he is unable to keep PR status because of his family situation back home , (elderly parents that needed care). He wanted to apply for visa to come to Canada as a visitor. IRCC said "you must formally renounce your PR in order to apply for VISA", so he signed a document to renounce his PR. Now his parents has passed away, he wanted to apply for PR as my spouse (I am PR). Question: because he renounced PR before, would that affect his PR application negatively? Thank you!

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a question.

My spouse previously had PR. But he is unable to keep PR status because of his family situation back home , (elderly parents that needed care). He wanted to apply for visa to come to Canada as a visitor. IRCC said "you must formally renounce your PR in order to apply for PR", so he signed a document to renounce his PR. Now his parents has passed away, he wanted to apply for PR as my spouse (I am PR). Question: because he renounced PR before, would that affect his PR application negatively? Thank you!
He needs to get confirmation that that PR is renounced and that can take up to 6 months. Once it is approved, he can reapply for PR as long as you are living in Canada and meet RO obligations.

Home_13579

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
He needs to get confirmation that that PR is renounced and that can take up to 6 months. Once it is approved, he can reapply for PR as long as you are living in Canada and meet RO obligations.
His visitor visa was approved, so I assume that means IRCC has confirmed his PR was renounced successfully?
I'm PR and live in Canada. our marriage is genuine. I meet the sponsor obligations and residential requirements.
So that means he can apply for spousal PR?
Thank you!

Last edited: