Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
March 2011 !!! :):)
Ok once PR is granted is it good forever? Do we ever have to reapply? I know you have to get a new PR card after so many years but do we have to go through the same process over again?

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
I believe once you have PR, you can stay a PR as long as you want, you just have to renew periodically. I'd have to look online and see when it has to be renewed. They don't force anyone to become a citizen.

If you fail to land within a certain amount of time, however, after being granted PR, then you have to start the whole process over again.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
No. Once PR is granted and the PR maintains his responsibilities as a PR for residency and obeys the law, that's it, there is no going through this process again when you renew the card.

And if I'm wrong, someone tell me now so I can tell my husband to move to Jamaica! :p

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
djboinsk said:
Ok once PR is granted is it good forever? Do we ever have to reapply? I know you have to get a new PR card after so many years but do we have to go through the same process over again?
There are residency requirements to maintaining your PR. And there is a folder for asking questions about it on the forum under "Settlement Topics" on the forum. Basically you have to live in Canada for 2 of every 5 years to maintain your PR. I've been told that you must document your days in (and out) of Canada when you renew your PR card so be sure to keep track. I have no idea what documentation is acceptable or how it is scrutinized; I've just hit the one year mark myself.

There are exceptions to the residency requirement, like accompanying your citizen spouse while out of Canada or working for certain Canadian companies or the govt while out of Canada. But if you are interested in becoming a citizen you must meet a residency requirement by actually living in Canada (for 3 years, I think) before you apply for citizenship.

Apparently it is not a problem to let your PR card expire as long as you remain in the country. But not meeting residency and/or having an expired card when you are trying to enter can be a problem.

Also, I think running afoul with the law can get your PR status revoked, but I think you would have to commit a pretty serious offense for that to happen.

Hope that helps. Allison