+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for people working in US but don't live near the border

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi All,

I am planning to convince my US employer to let me work from Canada. I wanted to know what arrangements you guys have made with your employer. Did you guys just update your address to Canadian one in your payroll and taxes are getting deducted as per your employer's location or do you guys maintain an address in the US or something like that. Could you let me know?

Thanks very much in advance :)

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
I am maintaing a local address and getting pay roll deductions,

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
I travel once in a while ( once in a month ) and have never been questioned at border.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi All,

I am planning to convince my US employer to let me work from Canada. I wanted to know what arrangements you guys have made with your employer. Did you guys just update your address to Canadian one in your payroll and taxes are getting deducted as per your employer's location or do you guys maintain an address in the US or something like that. Could you let me know?

Thanks very much in advance :)
not all employers allow Canadian address to be updated in their payroll system. Most systems would be configured to allow only US addresses. try to visit the section where you update your address and see if your employer is allowing to have a different country in it in first place.

Moreover it is not as simple as updating the address and strong that text.. your employer's tax system needs to support this and they should have configured rules to address outside US scenario. trying to update it would give you more headache than doing any good. I strongly suggest leaving the payroll address as it is and take care of your taxes during end of the year.

Reactions: Rawhide

Kiara02

Star Member
Jan 14, 2020
Hello @ustocanada49 I'm in similar situation and just moved to Canada 2 weeks ago. Can you please let me know the arrangements you made with your employer. TIA