+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about extending stay in Canada as a visitor

6sigma

Feb 7, 2010
Hi
I am in canada right now as a visitor and my visit visa will expire on the 27th of Februaury. Am I eligible to apply for an extension of stay (although my visa is going to expire in February) or I have to get a new visit visa from outside Canada?

I applied for an extension last month online - will be able to stay in implied status while the application for extension is in process?

Thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Did you apply at least 30 days before your visa expired?

Did you get proof that your forms arrived at Vegreville? (depends on what you mean by applied online.)

I am not sure why you ask "Am I eligible to apply for an extension of stay" and then state you applied online?
You will have read the notes here ... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Assuming they have received your extension application, you will have "implied status" as soon as your current visa expires, until a decision is made.

Can I ask, when you say "I applied for an extension last month online", do you mean that you paid online, or did the whole thing online?
If it was the whole thing, would you like to describe what you had to do?

6sigma

Feb 7, 2010
Baloo
There might be 2 situations:

1. Your 6 month period is expiring soon but you still have a valid multi entry visa to come back to canada
2. your 6 month peroid is expiring soon as well as your visit visa stamped in the passport

My situation is like the second case and I was wondering whether the extension application would go through(as my visa stamped in the passport is expiring soon) or do I need to go out and come back with a new visa from outside Canada.

Regarding the online apliaction- just follow the link you gave me and in the middle you will see" Did you know that you can now apply online to extend your stay as a visitor? " - click on the link and you will be able to the whole application online including the payment- the process is self explanatory with help buttons for each item.

Thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't have a multiple entry visa, as a Brit I am visa exempt.
I sent my extension request in recently, I paid online, rather than applied online, because I wanted to attach quite a few documents.
Does the online application system allow you to attach scans of documents?

I know my paperwork is in Vegreville, they signed for it when fed-ex delivered my package, so my implied status starts in March.

Like I said, "Assuming they have received your extension application, you will have "implied status" as soon as your current visa expires"
So when the visa in your passport expires you have implied status and can stay until at least the point where a decision is made.

There is no way of telling if an extension will go through, the best anyone can do is submit a truthful request and provide everything they ask for.

Times for processing of extensions are here. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res

6sigma

Feb 7, 2010
Yes- initially the online application will ask for scanned copies of:

1. The biographic pages of your passport and all the entries made by the canadian immigration
2. proof of funds ( bank statement/ paystub etc)

These can be uploaded in pdf, rtf or jpeg format. It says CIC will ask for more documents later if required.

Thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
6sigma said:
Baloo

1. Your 6 month period is expiring soon but you still have a valid multi entry visa to come back to canada
2. your 6 month peroid is expiring soon as well as your visit visa stamped in the passport

My situation is like the second case and I was wondering whether the extension application would go through(as my visa stamped in the passport is expiring soon) or do I need to go out and come back with a new visa from outside Canada.
If you're not going leaving Canada and you just want to stay longer then having submitted a request for extension, you are on implied status, meaning you can remain in Canada until you received a response from CPC. And when granted the extension, you can stay until the leave by date on the Visitor Record that is going to be issued to you.

Ekanson

May 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Nomination.....
24-10-2012
AOR Received.
18-06-2013
IELTS Request
Included in application
Med's Request
25-06-2013
Med's Done....
11-07-2013
Passport Req..
13-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
30-12-2013
6sigma said:
Baloo

Hi.
My situation is like #1. My 6 months stay is about to expire. I stay close to the US border and was thinking of going out to the States for a week or two. Can I ask for an extension of stay (another 6 months) when I am re-entering Canada? Anybody with an experience like that will be very appreciated.

funkie4cristo

Mar 10, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Affidavit sent
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
07/04/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Applic.
Med's Request
23/06/2015
Med's Done....
24/06/2015
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
Done
VISA ISSUED...
Done
LANDED..........
September 29, 2015
Baloo said:
Hi,

Did you apply at least 30 days before your visa expired?

Did you get proof that your forms arrived at Vegreville? (depends on what you mean by applied online.)

I am not sure why you ask "Am I eligible to apply for an extension of stay" and then state you applied online?
You will have read the notes here ... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Assuming they have received your extension application, you will have "implied status" as soon as your current visa expires, until a decision is made.

Can I ask, when you say "I applied for an extension last month online", do you mean that you paid online, or did the whole thing online?
If it was the whole thing, would you like to describe what you had to do?
Hi, What if one applies for extension of stay as a visitor only a day before the 6 months expire? does that disqualify you for extension of stay?I mean in a case where one is from a visa exempt country like Ireland.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
funkie4cristo said:
Hi, What if one applies for extension of stay as a visitor only a day before the 6 months expire? does that disqualify you for extension of stay?I mean in a case where one is from a visa exempt country like Ireland.
As long as you apply before your status expires, you're good. So one day is enough. You'll be on implied status until they make a decision, but you have to stay in Canada until then or you'll lose the implied status.

Reactions: joidiple

funkie4cristo

Mar 10, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Affidavit sent
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
07/04/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Applic.
Med's Request
23/06/2015
Med's Done....
24/06/2015
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
Done
VISA ISSUED...
Done
LANDED..........
September 29, 2015
lellen said:
As long as you apply before your status expires, you're good. So one day is enough. You'll be on implied status until they make a decision, but you have to stay in Canada until then or you'll lose the implied status.
thanks lellen.

jaihanuman

Nov 27, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Doc's Request.
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
30-01-2013
Med's Request
06-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
22-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2013
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
My Parents they came in Nov 2014 and now 6 months completing on May 8th 2015.

I have return tickets for May 11th is that fine or we need to inform canada border services ?

their 6 month period is expiring soon but you still have a valid multi entry visa to come back to canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jaihanuman said:
My Parents they came in Nov 2014 and now 6 months completing on May 8th 2015.

I have return tickets for May 11th is that fine or we need to inform canada border services ?

their 6 month period is expiring soon but you still have a valid multi entry visa to come back to canada.
You need to apply to extend their stay or they will be in Canada illegally for those extra days.

jaihanuman

Nov 27, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Doc's Request.
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
30-01-2013
Med's Request
06-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
22-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2013
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
How many days it will take for that?
I have 3 more days left.

Last month they went to USA.
I thought those days were reset to Zero.

Yesterday when I checked the passport they did not stamped any new stamping for 6 more months.

What is the procedure to apply for the extension of stay ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jaihanuman said:
Last month they went to USA.
I thought those days were reset to Zero.
If you thought so, why did you not mention this in your original post? You will not get accurate answers when you don't provide all of the information.

As they re-entered last month, they do not need to extend.