+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about a car into Canada

charlotte

Aug 24, 2005
Hope you can help me, my family and i are going to come to canada (montreal) in January 2010. We will have a Canadian address. My wife and son are Canadian citizens. We will be driving across from the United States. Instead of having to buy my car outright and importing to canada, can i just come across and drive until my US lease expires in July 2010.

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will need a letter from the leasing company saying it's ok for you to take the car to Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They absolutely might since it's technically not your car, it belongs to the leasing company. Even though you view it as your car, technically, you are taking somebody elses property across the border and the border guards want to know that you have the owners permission.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
They absolutely might since it's technically not your car, it belongs to the leasing company. Even though you view it as your car, technically, you are taking somebody elses property across the border and the border guards want to know that you have the owners permission.
And an addition, Canadian Residents cannot drive US plated cars in Canada. They can drive them from the Port of Entry to their residence and then back to the border nowhere else.

PMM

charlotte

Aug 24, 2005
Thanks for your responses, so if i cannot get a letter from my leasing company I would have to by my car outright in order to import to Canada? ANy other suggestions?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they don't let you take it, then you have to buy it or return it or whatever you have to do to get rid of it.