+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Residency Status

BhavaniShankar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
I have a query about Quebec Residency Status. I was staying in Montreal for last 2 years and recently moved to Ontario and have been staying there for 6 months. I am planning to relocate back to Montreal next year. One of the 14 situation is quoted as "You immigrated to Canada, have lived in Quebec for at least three months and have not lived in another Canadian province of territory for more than three months". The query is about the 3 months quoted there. Is it for last xx months (say 12 months) or for ever? Wondering whether I can claim for quebec residency status anytime

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a query about Quebec Residency Status. I was staying in Montreal for last 2 years and recently moved to Ontario and have been staying there for 6 months. I am planning to relocate back to Montreal next year. One of the 14 situation is quoted as "You immigrated to Canada, have lived in Quebec for at least three months and have not lived in another Canadian province of territory for more than three months". The query is about the 3 months quoted there. Is it for last xx months (say 12 months) or for ever? Wondering whether I can claim for quebec residency status anytime
When did you get PR? You avoided the Quebec immigration programs and then want establish Quebec residency which is why this rule is in place.

BhavaniShankar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
When did you get PR? You avoided the Quebec immigration programs and then want establish Quebec residency which is why this rule is in place.
I got PR last month only. I could have applied for CSQ and got it easily while I was in Quebec and did not apply for it as I have to relocate to Ontario for my work. Again due to my work, I have to come back to Quebec just for my work and not for any other reason. Said that, I have not got answer for my question. Whether the 3 months mentioned in the rule is for last XX months or for ever. Would appreciate if I am answered for that portion.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got PR last month only. I could have applied for CSQ and got it easily while I was in Quebec and did not apply for it as I have to relocate to Ontario for my work. Again due to my work, I have to come back to Quebec just for my work and not for any other reason. Said that, I have not got answer for my question. Whether the 3 months mentioned in the rule is for last XX months or for ever. Would appreciate if I am answered for that portion.
The issues is that you got PR last month and are returning back to the same Quebec employer within a month of getting PR. It looks very suspicious that you went to Ontario just until you got PR now want to return back and claim Quebec r residency. You can try to claim Quebec residency but you also be opening yourself up to a lot of scrutiny as to why you didn’t remain in Quebec and get PR there. Do you speak French?