+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec high school equivalency from Philippines?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Michel_Sk, Aug 15, 2019 at 11:45 PM.

1. What if you have a Philippines high school diploma in the old 4-year system and you came to Quebec, that would be like 4th grade high school so you'd be required to do 1 more year to get your Quebec high school diploma, right?

If so, while still in Philippines, would it be a good idea to try and complete 11th grade so you wouldn't have to do that extra year in Quebec? Would 11th grade be enough or would you need the 12th grade as well?

2. Is this for your gf? She would need to be 18 and you’d need to be married to be able to sponsor her and it will take a year. At that point she should be done with high school.

3. Yes it is. She is done with high school already, but it was a 4-year degree. That gives her the equivalent of grade 10 here, I believe, which means she'd have to do grade 11 here first in order to continue to college.
    What I'm wondering is if there's a way to avoid doing that grade 11 here, by doing it in Philippines instead, since anyway we're not married yet and visa application will take time.

4. #4 canuck78, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:41 AM at 8:41 AM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 9:21 PM
    She would need to do grade 11 and 12 not just grade 11. You should be 15/16/17 in grade 11 and 16/17/18 in grade 12. If she arrived and didn’t have more than grade 10 schooling she would have to attend an adult high school and complete a GED. Guess she could also complete grade 11 but she would be much older than others in CEGEP and not sure what they do for adult learners in CEGEP.

Not sure if you are also very young but you should be visiting each other in person at least once but preferably more before getting married and you have to prove that you can support yourselves without government help.

5. Ah, that's what I thought. Do you have any reference for that? Not that I don't believe you, but it'd be nice to read it from somewhere official.

By the way she's 21, she just didn't pursue any studies after high school. A bit late to go back there now, she'd rather attend something vocational... But since she'd come here it seems to me the fastest return on investment would be to just get 12th grade and go to college here. This is all hypothetical at this point :) no worries we are taking our time to get to know each other.

6. Reference for what part?

Not super familiar with the Philippino education system but only having a 10th grade education will be very limiting for her. Most vocational programs will need a Canadian high school degree.

7. I mean a reference for the equivalency between 10/12th grade in Phils and the Quebec system. I mean heard that before, but I couldn't find an actual source for that anywhere on the internet.

8. The school board determines equivalency but normally it comes down to years of schooling.

9. I see, well thanks a lot for that, it is really helpful!