Visa Office......
Ottawa (?)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Hey all,

So i'm currently applying for my PR, and I'm struggling with the following. My girlfriend and I have been together for over a year, so we're common-law. There's a question: "Does Girlfriend's name have a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada? (The relative must be 18 or older and living in Canada.)".

She is a Canadian, so she has Family in canada. However, I don't need the points you can get by this. Should I answer yes and get my girlfriend's parents passport scan or something? Or should I say no, since I don't need the points, and just list her family in the other part of the form.

Related to this: Do we still need to Fill out IMM5409 Statutory Declaration of Common-Law, if we have proof of common-law living?

Note: I'm applying under Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class), and also have enough points without any common-law points.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey all,

So i'm currently applying for my PR, and I'm struggling with the following. My girlfriend and I have been together for over a year, so we're common-law. There's a question: "Does Girlfriend's name have a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada? (The relative must be 18 or older and living in Canada.)".

She is a Canadian, so she has Family in canada. However, I don't need the points you can get by this. Should I answer yes and get my girlfriend's parents passport scan or something? Or should I say no, since I don't need the points, and just list her family in the other part of the form.

Related to this: Do we still need to Fill out IMM5409 Statutory Declaration of Common-Law, if we have proof of common-law living?

Note: I'm applying under Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class), and also have enough points without any common-law points.
If your partner is Canadian, you do NOT include her as a co-applicant for Permanent Residence.

It sure would be nice if IRCC clearly explained what to do in this circumstance, but they expect spouses (includes CLPs) of Canadian citizens to apply through Family Class.

Two options -

1) do NOT list her in your application, only on the "Additional family information" form, and include a LOE ("My CLP is a Canadian citizen so I did not include her on the application" and proof of her citizenship (scan of passport or birth certificate). And you do not need to prove your relationship, since she is not a co-applicant.

2) indicate that she is not included on the application or as "non-accompanying" (not sure what the profile questions look like these days )- you will still be asked for PCCs, medical exam, and to answer other questions. There you upload the LOE and proof of her citizenship.

You can also check out this thread -
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/should-canadian-spouse-to-be-included-in-application.276380/

Chef-de-Bureau

Star Member
Jul 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa (?)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Thanks! I did indicate that she is not accompanying me to Canada (since she's already there obviously), but it still asks me to provide her family info, travel / personal history, and the IMM5409 we should fill out. Since basically she's not "involved" in my application, should I change it my status to Single, or would that be misrepresentation. It looks like I have to fill all this out when I change it to "common-law", even though I have indicated she's not accompanying me.

Right now, they're not asking for PCC's, medical exam etc.