+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds

AlexAndi

Jan 28, 2009
Hello experts out there!

Help me out please. Since my whole family of 4 shall be leaving from Manila to Winnipeg soon, may I know some important details. I hope you can answer per concern. Thank you.

1) Does this cover my whole family or can we bring more than CAD$10,000 and just spread the amount to all members of the family?
2) Do bank certifications from Philippine banks acceptable? Should these all be in USD? Can this be in our local currency?
3) Should jewelry be declared as well, with certification of its appraisal and how much its worth? Can this be included in the proof of funds?
4) Real Estate properties not yet liquidated, can these also be included in the proof of funds provided that a certification of how much is worth is stated?

Thank you for all the help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

AlexAndi said:
Hello experts out there!

Help me out please. Since my whole family of 4 shall be leaving from Manila to Winnipeg soon, may I know some important details. I hope you can answer per concern. Thank you.

1) Does this cover my whole family or can we bring more than CAD$10,000 and just spread the amount to all members of the family?

You have to show $20,130 Canadian or equivilant at "landing" how you distribute it is up to you although don't forget to declare it to Canada Customs as well

2) Do bank certifications from Philippine banks acceptable? Should these all be in USD? Can this be in our local currency?

It depends if Filipino pesos can be exchanged in Canada, in that there is no currency control

3) Should jewelry be declared as well, with certification of its appraisal and how much its worth? Can this be included in the proof of funds?

Jewelry cannot form part of the settlement funds, but if it is valuable (especially if it is in your goods to follow) you should have pictures and an evaluation.

4) Real Estate properties not yet liquidated, can these also be included in the proof of funds provided that a certification of how much is worth is stated?

No

Thank you for all the help!
PMM

AlexAndi

Jan 28, 2009
Hello Expert PMM!

Thank you for the input. The info given would be very helpful to us.
If you have further tips on my queries, such us:

1) Where to land best? Vancouver? Toronto? or any other place that accepts first time immigrants? I understand Vancouver has long queues in the immigration?
2) We are going to Winnipeg. Some airline routes show: Manila - Hongkong or Japan- US State (e.g. Chicago) - Winnipeg. Is this ok?

Regards,
AlexAndi

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

AlexAndi said:
Hello Expert PMM!

1) Where to land best? Vancouver? Toronto? or any other place that accepts first time immigrants? I understand Vancouver has long queues in the immigration?
2) We are going to Winnipeg. Some airline routes show: Manila - Hongkong or Japan- US State (e.g. Chicago) - Winnipeg. Is this ok?

Regards,
AlexAndi
1. A long route, and you need a US visa.
2. Why not Philippines Airlines direct to Vancouver and direct to Winnipeg? The queues at Vancouver are usually in the morning and the flight arrives in the afternoon.

PMM

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
agree with PMM

you don't want to travel such a complex route involving USA visas

the queues at Vancouver aren't that bad

also, Air Canada and Cathay Pacific fly direct from Hong Kong to Vancouver, if you took Cathay from Manila to HKG you'd be on the same airline all the way, at least an option to consider if Philippine Airlines are full or too expensive (no, I don't work for Cathay Pacific)

apart from proof of funds you need to get clued up on what and how to bring as personal items, use the advice at

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html

AlexAndi

Jan 28, 2009
thanks PMM and john5655!

Have been booked tentatively already via Cathay Pacific from Manila to Hongkong to Vancouver, then from Vancouver to Winnipeg via Air Canada.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

AlexAndi said:
Hello experts out there!

You have to show $20,130 Canadian or equivilant at "landing" how you distribute it is up to you although don't forget to declare it to Canada Customs as well
PMM
I think he meant if the $10K are for each member of the family (so he asks if he can carry up to $40K for the whole family without having to declare it) or $10K for the whole family and then any amount over than that he'd need to declare it, its a good question, and I don't know the answer for it. But I'd try to find out and let you know.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

AlexAndi said:
Hello Expert PMM!

Regards,
AlexAndi

PMM
I wouldn't think he needs a visa if he is only traveling by the USA, he won't be able to leave the airport tho, they'd keep him and his family in a room till his other flight takes off. Just make sure the connection flight is in the same airport and within a timeframe you'd feel comfortable waiting. Check at the airline tho, they'd know. But it may not be the preferable route, I wouldn't know.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Flori said:
PMM said:
Hi

AlexAndi said:
Hello Expert PMM!

Regards,
AlexAndi

PMM
I wouldn't think he needs a visa if he is only traveling by the USA, he won't be able to leave the airport tho, they'd keep him and his family in a room till his other flight takes off. Just make sure the connection flight is in the same airport and within a timeframe you'd feel comfortable waiting. Check at the airline tho, they'd know. But it may not be the preferable route, I wouldn't know.
You should note that there is no longer transit without visa in the US since 2003.

PMM

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
That may be true, there migh not longer be any transit on USA without a visa. You are probably right. I think I heard it somewhere, but it was definetly after 2003 'cause I found out at the airport you could do that in 2004.