+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Processing and Passport Expiry

vivek261088

Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

I have applied for a PR in Canada under the Canadian Experience Class.I have received and ITA and then submitted all my required documents for the PR Application on Dec 31st. As expected I received a RCMP Crimical record check request on Jan 18th,2018. Post that I received a request for an Interview on Feb 19th where I had to show all the originals that I had submitted on the website. The interview went really well and the immigration officer was completely satisfied after looking at my profile. She said I should expect something in the next 2-3 weeks.
I have two questions:

a) I have not heard anything from CIC until today. Its been nearly 5 months since I submitted my application. I have also emailed then a query in their Web form , but go no reply. Whenever I call their customer care it says they are not taking any calls because of the high volumes.What should I do at this stage?

b) My passport will expire sometime next year. For the PR card does my passport have to be valid for the next 5 years? and If I renew my passport now before I hear back from CIC and then I get a request from CIC to send my passport, will that cause any issues?

Can someone guide me as to what should I do?

Vivek

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Call them very early in the morning, e.g. 7-8am, so you have a better chance of connecting to an agent.

Your passport only needs to be valid for 6 months for PPR, not 5 years.

vivek261088

Oct 27, 2017
Call them very early in the morning, e.g. 7-8am, so you have a better chance of connecting to an agent.

Your passport only needs to be valid for 6 months for PPR, not 5 years.

So I have been trying to call CIC for the last 4 months but everytime get the message that "Due to high volumes of calls we cannot process...",. However last Friday I got connect and was able to speak to an agent. My conversation with the agent completely changed my day. The agent told me that CIC had sent me a request for an interview again on March 23rd with the below message.

I told the agent that I had not received any mail on March 23rd and my Spam gets deleted within 30 days.The agent told that he will send a message to the Vancouver Immigration Office for them to check and see if they can resend the email. He said I should expect something within the next 3weeks. What if I don't hear back, what should I do?

The 6 month processing period will expire on June 30th as I had submitted my application on Dec 31, 2017.

"
Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Confirmation of PR inside Canada - Required documents

Congratulations on reaching the final step of your immigration application.

To confirm your Permanent Resident status, please bring the following documents to the appointment (the original documents are required):

• Passport, travel or identity document (including the secure visa counterfoil (IMM 1346), if applicable),
  • Confirmation of PR (IMM 5688) and instructions issued by the Canadian visa office,
  • (If applicable) Any immigration document in your possession (whether valid or not),
  • (If applicable) Proof of implied status, such as:
    • payment receipt,
    • printout of online application;
    • copy of your paper application to extend your stay,
    • proof of mailing, etc.,
  • (If applicable) Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ), if you are settling in Québec."

ajeet.ims

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Canada
Looking at the message (content of email), it seems you’re all set mate. This seems to be an landing interview invitation. Keep checking your mailbox(including spam) regularly so don’t miss thier email this time. If you don’t see anything in a weeks time, I would suggest to call them again..Good luck!