+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR or Temp Work Visa (Candian wife, both residing in UK)

dshuttle

May 9, 2006
Hi all,

I'm looking for some clarification please?

My wife is Canadian and we currently live in the UK. We are planning to emmigrate, with my wife sponsoring me under the Family Class. I am unsure whether I need to apply for a Family Class visa from outside Canada or apply for a Temporary Work Visa and then when we are in Canada, apply for Family Class Visa from within Canada?

Any advice anyone has based on experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dshuttle said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some clarification please?

My wife is Canadian and we currently live in the UK. We are planning to emmigrate, with my wife sponsoring me under the Family Class. I am unsure whether I need to apply for a Family Class visa from outside Canada or apply for a Temporary Work Visa and then when we are in Canada, apply for Family Class Visa from within Canada?

Any advice anyone has based on experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
If you wife is sponoring you she can apply for you while you are living in the UK. She would have to include in her application a statement that once you are issued a visa, she would be returning to Canada. It should also state what steps she has taken for accommodation, work in Canada, once the visa is issued. If you decide to go to Canada and have your wife submit an in-Canada sponsorship, you will not be able to work in Canada until you receive Approval in Principle about 7-9 months after the application is submitted. Suggest you start your reading at : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/in.html and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html

PMM

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
If you are both working in the UK, I would apply from the UK as you can continue working while waiting for your PR status.