+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligation Options

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi All - I am in a situation of not being able to make my RO due to various factors (sickness, etc.). My landing was on June 2020 (as you can see my sig) so I am making every effort to make it to Toronto by May 2023. Please let me know your thoughts on the below options:

1) Reach Toronto by end of May 2023. Is this risky?
2) Renounce PR status, apply for work permit and then re-apply inland. Is this a feasible option?

I appreciate your response and sorry in advance if I offended anyone (unfortunately due to extenuating circumstances and my own fault I could not plan this properly)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All - I am in a situation of not being able to make my RO due to various factors (sickness, etc.). My landing was on June 2020 (as you can see my sig) so I am making every effort to make it to Toronto by May 2023. Please let me know your thoughts on the below options:

1) Reach Toronto by end of May 2023. Is this risky?
2) Renounce PR status, apply for work permit and then re-apply inland. Is this a feasible option?

I appreciate your response and sorry in advance if I offended anyone (unfortunately due to extenuating circumstances and my own fault I could not plan this properly)
1) There's really no risk in doing this in terms of entering Canada. However then you will need to remain in Canada for two years straight to meet the residency obligation and be able to renew your PR card. As long as you're willing to do this, no issue.
2) You can certainly try to do this as well. To qualify for a work permit, you will need a job offer from an employer in Canada and likely an approved LMIA from that employer as well. Whether you'll be able to apply for PR is a different matter and will depend on whether you meet program requirements and have enough points and/or the right type of job to be selected. So this is certainly a feasible option - but not guaranteed.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus