waived
Passport Req..
June 22, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
June 28,2010
LANDED..........
July 23, 2010
Hi

I am wondering if a new PR want to go to school which might cost anything between 20k-80k...does the Canada govt provides any grants/scholarship , any financial assistance at all..

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadacanada said:
Hi

I am wondering if a new PR want to go to school which might cost anything between 20k-80k...does the Canada govt provides any grants/scholarship , any financial assistance at all..
They do. Almost all universities have some sort of funding options. Just check with your desired Universities/Colleges

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would be entitled to provincial study assistance from the province where you are resident.

canadacanada

Jun 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buff
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NS:May,09
Doc's Request.
Buff:June, 09
AOR Received.
Sept, 09 From Buffalo
File Transfer...
April, 2010
Med's Request
May,2010
Med's Done....
May 25, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
June 22, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
June 28,2010
LANDED..........
July 23, 2010
@Karlshammar ,

I will be a new PR, laneded probably 1 to 3 months before the application of class start deadline.

I am planning to apply right after i get my medicals. So,once admitted, i will request for financial assistance
believing that I will have PR then.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That makes sense. Yeah, apply for it as soon as you become a PR. Good luck!

ap8329

May 8, 2005
Dear members,

I have a PR and going to start MBA at Queens. What is the process to apply for grants/scholarship/loan.

Request your advise on the same. Thanks a lot.

Cheers
Amit

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Which province are you resident in? If in Ontario, you need to go to www.osap.gov.on.ca

The Queen's webpage's financial aid section will have useful information as well, and may have additional funding sources.

ap8329 said:
Dear members,

I have a PR and going to start MBA at Queens. What is the process to apply for grants/scholarship/loan.

Cheers
Amit

CoolEJ

Star Member
Jul 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi, did you undergo credential evaluation/equivalency? What agency did you use? IQAS/WES/ICES?

did the university ask you to take some more undergrad classes before being accepted into grad school?

Thanks in advance!

canadacanada

Jun 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buff
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Sept, 09 From Buffalo
File Transfer...
April, 2010
Med's Request
May,2010
Med's Done....
May 25, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
June 22, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
June 28,2010
LANDED..........
July 23, 2010
ap8329 said:
Dear members,

Cheers
Amit
hi amit,

best of luck for Queen's. Can we share some info related to Queen's admin process, mostly how much they weigh gmat and work exp, i will need 90% financial assistance. How about the job scenario post mba and so on....i know most of these i can get in website but i would love to hear from some one..who been there done that person....

ap8329

May 8, 2005
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, was not visiting this website, too busy with preparations.

Gmat > 650 should be good and work experience range is 2 years to 12 years. But they take a holistic approach towards your application. Everything should fit in well, no one area is given too much importance, it is the whole package.

For MBA studies financial assistance is not too much. I got $ 5K off from the tuitions. But once you get in you can take loan from RBC, Queens has good arrangement with them.

Job scenario was bad last 2 years, seems to be improving now. Class of 2009 did not have a good time with job hunting. Class of 2010 is doing better, but no official statistics are available. Hopefully next year will be best. ;)

canadacanada

Jun 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buff
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Sept, 09 From Buffalo
File Transfer...
April, 2010
Med's Request
May,2010
Med's Done....
May 25, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
June 22, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
June 28,2010
LANDED..........
July 23, 2010
ap8329 said:
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, was not visiting this website, too busy with preparations.

Gmat > 650 should be good and work experience range is 2 years to 12 years. But they take a holistic approach towards your application. Everything should fit in well, no one area is given too much importance, it is the whole package.

For MBA studies financial assistance is not too much. I got $ 5K off from the tuitions. But once you get in you can take loan from RBC, Queens has good arrangement with them.

Job scenario was bad last 2 years, seems to be improving now. Class of 2009 did not have a good time with job hunting. Class of 2010 is doing better, but no official statistics are available. Hopefully next year will be best. ;)
Its good to hear from you.
I am debating on ROI of doing MBA. If i can land a job asap and make 60-75k, or consulting would be around 90K, should i waste 1 yr and do MBA and gsalray would be like 80K give or take +-5k.
BUt I love MBA and thats not enough...question is whats the return and position after 4/5 yrs down the road.

What are the alumni doing in average case? what one can expect ;ets say for average guy?

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know in which World you people are living, Banks are regulated by Governement, Derivative trading and inventing new financial products will be like shooting a P O R N movie because of new upcoming banking regulations, Lehman has gone, Bear Sterns has gone, Merill has been eaten ny Bank of America, Obama will decide that what should be in lunch box of Jamie Dimon/LLoyd Blankfien/Vikram Pandit/John Mack and all CEO's (So called Dream God of MBA aspirants) Where the hell you gonna use your MBA?? MBA for Manager of Job or Burger King ? MBA for Janitor job at Government Building of Municipal Corporation of Toronto or City of Calgary??

Stop living in 2006, it is 2010. Untill Banking Industry and Financial Institution re-gain thier trust, MBA aspirants should give up thier dreams of Bonus/Investment Banking/Managerial/wall Street/ tie knot with dimple/French cuff white shirts/ Board room.

ap8329

May 8, 2005
Girl Ontario,

You are assuming that all MBAs end up working for a bank or a financial entity.

There are other options like Consulting (Project Consulting, Management Consulting), General Management etc.

You are right, this is 2010 (and not 2006), but you need to get out of the rut of 2008 and 2009.

Cheers
Amit

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ap8329 said:
Dear members,

Cheers
Amit
See if Canadian Government offer some sort of federal assistance for higher education like US. Here it is called FASFA - www.fasfa.gov If not then University should have something. I doubt that universities in Ontario will help an immigrant because mostly opprtunities have been already used and you do not have some kind of exceptional background so best bet will be to try in Universities located in remote areas where competition is relatively easy.

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ap8329 said:
Girl Ontario,

You are assuming that all MBAs end up working for a bank or a financial entity.

There are other options like Consulting (Project Consulting, Management Consulting), General Management etc.

You are right, this is 2010 (and not 2006), but you need to get out of the rut of 2008 and 2009.

Cheers
Amit
I agree with you that it is not 2008 but one thing you are not counting that if business side has nothing to do then no organization is going to keep any Back office, any data center, any off-site data center for disaster recovery or any database since there are no transactions and PMP certified candidate will find job at Public School and MBA will work in Non-profit. Recently a technology magazine reported that if financial regulation would have placed in 2005 then trillion dollar banking technology industry would have been slashed or effected. Again I am not just talking about Banking industry but in general.