+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing in Vancouver - address for PR card

AragonSC

Dec 13, 2018
Hello All,

Had a question regarding Canada PR short/soft landing procedure. I currently live in Bay Area, California, US. I'm planning to do a short landing in Vancouver (flight from SFO to Vancouver and back) during Feb 2019 (last week) as it it closer to where I currently live. I'll be there in Vancouver for a day and head back.

• I have a close friend in Toronto whose local residential address I'll be using for CoPR/landing procedure to post/mail my PR. Will this be a problem since I'm landing in Vancouver and giving my friend's address in Toronto, Ontario? Or is it advisable to land in Toronto?

It would be of great help if someone share their knowledge/experience and guide me through. Thanks a lot in advance!

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hello All,

Had a question regarding Canada PR short/soft landing procedure. I currently live in Bay Area, California, US. I'm planning to do a short landing in Vancouver (flight from SFO to Vancouver and back) during Feb 2019 (last week) as it it closer to where I currently live. I'll be there in Vancouver for a day and head back.

• I have a close friend in Toronto whose local residential address I'll be using for CoPR/landing procedure to post/mail my PR. Will this be a problem since I'm landing in Vancouver and giving my friend's address in Toronto, Ontario? Or is it advisable to land in Toronto?

It would be of great help if someone share their knowledge/experience and guide me through. Thanks a lot in advance!
No problem....I had done exact same thing and shared my landing experience on the forum. Flew from SFO to YVR, stayed for a day and then back to Bay Area. I gave my friend's address in Ontario and received PR cards without issue. Later I even traveled to Canada just using COPR to personally collect the PR Cards.

Good luck with your landing. One thing to note, for some reason YVR airport customs did not process our goods to follow list saying we have no plan to stay in Canada at this time so they will process when we actually move. This was a big bummer considering I plan to move to Canada in next few months and will most probably be paying unnecessary duty when I bring my belongings from US.

Reactions: AragonSC

AragonSC

Dec 13, 2018
No problem....I had done exact same thing and shared my landing experience on the forum. Flew from SFO to YVR, stayed for a day and then back to Bay Area. I gave my friend's address in Ontario and received PR cards without issue. Later I even traveled to Canada just using COPR to personally collect the PR Cards.

Good luck with your landing. One thing to note, for some reason YVR airport customs did not process our goods to follow list saying we have no plan to stay in Canada at this time so they will process when we actually move. This was a big bummer considering I plan to move to Canada in next few months and will most probably be paying unnecessary duty when I bring my belongings from US.
@langoorbandar

Hi langoorbandar,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Sorry for late response. I'll be completing my Landing procedure at Vancouver airport. WRT goods to follow list, after digging a bit here on this forum, found out that some people who did short landing couldn't get their Goods to follow list stamped with $0 duty (since they disclosed they were here for short-time/short-landing). They've mentioned that when they moved to Canada for good, they chose "Settler" option (since they will be in Canada for more than 12 months) in their customs form and could get $0 duty on the stuff from goods to follow list.
Not sure how it went with you. Did yo choose "Settler" option in your customs form? Maybe when you move for good, they might not put duty on your goods to follow list. Thanks again.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
@langoorbandar

Hi langoorbandar,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Sorry for late response. I'll be completing my Landing procedure at Vancouver airport. WRT goods to follow list, after digging a bit here on this forum, found out that some people who did short landing couldn't get their Goods to follow list stamped with $0 duty (since they disclosed they were here for short-time/short-landing). They've mentioned that when they moved to Canada for good, they chose "Settler" option (since they will be in Canada for more than 12 months) in their customs form and could get $0 duty on the stuff from goods to follow list.
Not sure how it went with you. Did yo choose "Settler" option in your customs form? Maybe when you move for good, they might not put duty on your goods to follow list. Thanks again.
Thanks @AragonSC, I'll certainly look into this option when I finalize my move plans. Hopefully, I can still bring basic household stuff like used furniture and TV/Waching machine etc. which I have collected over 10+ yrs of stay in US in addition to my vehicle. I'm aware of the export/import requirements but now unsure whether I have to pay tax/duties on the car since YVR customs refused to process goods to follow list which had all these items during my short landing.

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018
Hey guys. I was reading this thread and wanted to ask few questions based on your recent soft landing experience. My wife and I are planning to do soft landing in November' 2019 at Vancouver.

1. Would you advice going to some other Canadian city such as Toronto considering the Goods to follow list will not be stamped at soft landing at YVR? Any other hurdles at YVR?
2. What all things I should plan for during soft landing since I'll be there for a week? (Applying for SIN, bank account, health card etc.)
3. How did it work out with asking the officer at Soft Landing to ship the PR card to a different location? Did it make it to your friends address?
If yes, then in how much time?

Appreciate your time and advice. Thank you!

@langoorbandar
@AragonSC