+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing experience and used AVR in return

hastalp

Jul 5, 2019
Hello Folks,

I recently completed my PR landing and returned to US using AVR and I just to share my experience as this community helped a lot throughout my application processing.

I had my immigration at peace bridge and the lady asked

where am I coming from
why am I visiting
Am I plan to move there now
Am I brining anything....

after answering those she gave me a yellow slip and asked me to park and enter the building next to the crossing. There was a huge rush at the center and it took 90 mins for office to call my name and he was pretty patient unlike the lady at the border crossing.

He just took a peak at proof of funds and asked the address for PR card delivery and that's it. To the lady officer, I said I'm only gonna stay for 2 days so I thought they wouldn't issue me the card (as that is what I read from this blog before) but the office inside said I'd receive the card in 6 weeks.

I drove to the nearest Service Canada Center but the lady there said it would take 24hrs for system to get update for them to issue SIN. I drove back to USA and at the border

I gave my documents and she took 2-4mins and looking at something on her screen and asked me to park my car and enter the building. There was no rush in the building and I got called my name within 5 mins.

The officer just confirmed I went to Canada this morning and said I'm eligible for AVR. Took my fingerprints and photo and let me go. It was very easy experience on USA side of the border than the Canadian one.

Again, I want to thank all the members of this community for their contribution over the years. It was very helpful.

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
Hey, thanks for sharing your experience and its really helpful. Where did you enter Canada from? I want to travel to canada as well for the "landing" thorough car and come back the same way using AVR

VyshuP

Jun 17, 2018
Hey, we are planning to drive to Peace Bridge next week and have few questions about the PR landing.
1. Are there any specific days for the landing at Peace Bridge or is it open on weekends as well? What day was it when you had your landing?
2. Also, what is the purpose of visiting Service Canada center? Does everybody have to do that on their day of Landing even if our purpose of travel is just PR landing?
3. Did you drive to Peace Bridge? At what time was your landing? Is there any limit on the number of applicants they accept per day or is it open the whole day?

Last edited:

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
1. Any day, any time unless you are a Canadian resident.
2. To get SIN. You don't have to get it if you are soft landing only.
3. see 1. They limit applicants from Canada who are flagpoling. But no restrictions on US or other residents.

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
Hi

I am planning to do a soft landing via the Niagra border (not sure which one) in a couple of weeks. Will be driving with my wife.both of us are on H1 and plan to use AVR to re-enter.
Wanted to understand
1. What documents and information to carry for the PR landing in Canada.
2. I am staying at a hotel near Niagra but is it ok to give my cousins address in Toronto for PR card delivery.
3. Do I need to carry proof of funds ?
4. What documents do I need to carry for my car? I have a lien on it.
5. Any other relevant documents/information?

On the way back what documents do us visa official ask for.
I have i797,i94, LCA,proof of employment and salary, offer letter.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi

I am planning to do a soft landing via the Niagra border (not sure which one) in a couple of weeks. Will be driving with my wife.both of us are on H1 and plan to use AVR to re-enter.
Wanted to understand
1. What documents and information to carry for the PR landing in Canada.
2. I am staying at a hotel near Niagra but is it ok to give my cousins address in Toronto for PR card delivery.
3. Do I need to carry proof of funds ?
4. What documents do I need to carry for my car? I have a lien on it.
5. Any other relevant documents/information?

On the way back what documents do us visa official ask for.
I have i797,i94, LCA,proof of employment and salary, offer letter.
1. Passport, COPR, optionally goods to follow list
2. Yes
3. Most people are never asked for it. You can carry latest bank statement.
4. No need. Tell them that you are not importing anything at this time.
5. No

Generally, passport and approval notice are sufficient. Other documents are fine.

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
So I did my landing and here is how it went.
1.I crossed the rainbow bridge in my personal car. The officer at the checkpost asked few questions:
a. Where do you live in US?
b. What's your status in US?
c. What work you do?
d. When do you plan to move permanently?
After this she sent me to the cbsa office for other formalities.
2. First I met immigration officer. She did her verification, signed CoPR.
HOWEVER, she did not take my address. I asked her about how they will send PR card and she said you will have to apply after you settle permanently. I tried to explain that I am staying with a cousin and that's the address I want to give but she would not budge. Her point was people take PR card but don't settle but use that PR card for medical benefits etc. So they don't give it until you settle. AT that time you submit the form for PR and it comes by registered mail and you have to sign for it .

She said you can travel by road using a CoPR or apply for Returning Resident Visa for travel by air.

Again this is subjective and depends on officer. Another guy was able to give a friend's address and that officer took that.

Then I asked her about GTF and she sent me to customs officer.

Here is where everything that @DEEPCUR said came true.

3. The first custom officer question was about the car.he asked if I was importing it today and I said no. He said I cannot drive in Canada if I don't import. I can drive back to US and come back in a rental car that will be returned back to US.
If I have to drive in Canada they will do the import right there and put an ON plate and take the NJ plate. The guy before me had the same situation and by the time I got to the officer he was already pissed about this.
I finally took the GTF form and started to fill that out.
Then fortunately for me there was a shift change. I filled out the GTF form in great detail and went back to the new officer.He asked if I am importing anything today and I said no. He asked about the car and I said I will drive back in a week.
Thankfully this officer was cool with all this. He said keep the list with you and bring it when you import things. For electronics he had me write serial nos, Vin for the car. For jewelry he said bring pictures as well as receipts when you import. He gave me a form about importing a vehicle and said you are good to go.
I cannot explain the relief at that point.
I collected my passport and got out of there as soon as I could.

So in summary, don't drive your personal car for landing. You may be subject to the whims of the officer.
If you don't have things that you really want to import skip the GTF list since that may save you the trip to customs. You do the immigration and get out.
Be prepared,thanks to this post I was aware of this possiblity so was not surprised. Worst case scenario I would have come back, park near Niagara, walk over to Canada and have my cousin pick me up .
So know your backup options.

Reactions: psp.picasa

duytuanbme

Oct 4, 2018
1. Passport, COPR, optionally goods to follow list
2. Yes
3. Most people are never asked for it. You can carry latest bank statement.
4. No need. Tell them that you are not importing anything at this time.
5. No

Generally, passport and approval notice are sufficient. Other documents are fine.
Hi @lampbreaker,

I just know of the AVR process recently and I'm a bit confused. I'm holding an expired F1 visa and will have to travel to Canada soon (when the border is open again). May I ask that when my F1 visa is revalidated by the CBP, does it mean that it will be extended or I can just use it as a document to enter US that time only? Also, how many times can I go through the AVR process? Thank you!

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
I believe your status and i94 date would be updated to reflect what's on your latest documents-i20 or i797.
You can go through avr as many times as you like.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi @lampbreaker,

I just know of the AVR process recently and I'm a bit confused. I'm holding an expired F1 visa and will have to travel to Canada soon (when the border is open again). May I ask that when my F1 visa is revalidated by the CBP, does it mean that it will be extended or I can just use it as a document to enter US that time only? Also, how many times can I go through the AVR process? Thank you!
The Visa in your passport itself will not be made valid, but CBP will allow you to return to the US even if it is expired. This is assuming you are maintaining a valid F1 status (studying full-time or valid OPT). You can use this any number of times as long as you remain eligible.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

duytuanbme

Oct 4, 2018
The Visa in your passport itself will not be made valid, but CBP will allow you to return to the US even if it is expired. This is assuming you are maintaining a valid F1 status (studying full-time or valid OPT). You can use this any number of times as long as you remain eligible.
Understood. Thank you very much for confirming!