+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing and HIB stamping at the same time.

DAVVY75

Jun 20, 2022
Good afternoon! I want to land for my PR in mid-july and was wondering if I could get a date for dropbox around the same time for my H1B stamping? I have till mid november to land, but want to travel to india in August for urgent family matter. Dates are not available in India before august and nothing is showing in canada if i mention im traveling from a third country. One option i was thinking is that i land first, come back, give canada's address as resident and then apply for dropbox in august.
Any suggestions will be welcome? Thanks.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Your only problem with Dropbox is the processing time - they mention 4 to 6 weeks but there is a huge variation depending on embassy and visa type. In Toronto for instance we are seeing waiting time over 2 months - I have a B1/B2 pending since Apr and couple of others too on some of the other threads and embassy is totally non responsive - no info provided on when to expect the passport. So you just have to keep this factor especially as you mention you have to travel to India.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Good afternoon! I want to land for my PR in mid-july and was wondering if I could get a date for dropbox around the same time for my H1B stamping? I have till mid november to land, but want to travel to india in August for urgent family matter. Dates are not available in India before august and nothing is showing in canada if i mention im traveling from a third country. One option i was thinking is that i land first, come back, give canada's address as resident and then apply for dropbox in august.
Any suggestions will be welcome? Thanks.
Dropbox approvals are taking anywhere between 3-8 weeks. Few people are being called for in-person interview after sending documents to consulate. Do not take the risk of sending docs from US. Be inside Canada and send your docs.
Your only problem with Dropbox is the processing time - they mention 4 to 6 weeks but there is a huge variation depending on embassy and visa type. In Toronto for instance we are seeing waiting time over 2 months - I have a B1/B2 pending since Apr and couple of others too on some of the other threads and embassy is totally non responsive - no info provided on when to expect the passport. So you just have to keep this factor especially as you mention you have to travel to India.
This is a very important point to be taken into consideration. Its all luck. Few people are getting it within 2 weeks. So you never know.

DAVVY75

Jun 20, 2022
Dropbox approvals are taking anywhere between 3-8 weeks. Few people are being called for in-person interview after sending documents to consulate. Do not take the risk of sending docs from US. Be inside Canada and send your docs.

This is a very important point to be taken into consideration. Its all luck. Few people are getting it within 2 weeks. So you never know.
Thanks. So, what is the best option according to you?

DAVVY75

Jun 20, 2022
I filled the form, ds160, giving ottawa as option while mentioning im canadian PR with us address. Im not getting any option to schedule a dropbox date. What am i missing here?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I filled the form, ds160, giving ottawa as option while mentioning im canadian PR with us address. Im not getting any option to schedule a dropbox date. What am i missing here?
I believe, you have to be a resident of Canada to be eligible for a dropbox option.

DAVVY75

Jun 20, 2022
I believe, you have to be a resident of Canada to be eligible for a dropbox option.
Thanks for the reply. Im a PR resident after I land, isnt it? Or you mean one needs to give Canada address while filling DS 160? Since I have already submitted it, any way i can change the address now?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Im a PR resident after I land, isnt it? Or you mean one needs to give Canada address while filling DS 160? Since I have already submitted it, any way i can change the address now?
Yes, you need to give a Canadian address. If you have already answered all the questions and submitted theres no way you can go back. You can try calling customer care and tell them the scenario, if they are able to reset it for you , you are good.

Note: You are a permanent resident. Correct . But where you stay currently i.e where you file your taxes for that tax year and have a physical address to live is generally a resident of that country means. Resident alien(On US side) is a whole different story altogether. do not confuse. I am not an legal attorney. This is pure out of personal research.

here is the link fyi:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/non-residents-canada.html

DAVVY75

Jun 20, 2022
Yes, you need to give a Canadian address. If you have already answered all the questions and submitted theres no way you can go back. You can try calling customer care and tell them the scenario, if they are able to reset it for you , you are good.

Note: You are a permanent resident. Correct . But where you stay currently i.e where you file your taxes for that tax year and have a physical address to live is generally a resident of that country means. Resident alien(On US side) is a whole different story altogether. do not confuse. I am not an legal attorney. This is pure out of personal research.

here is the link fyi:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/non-residents-canada.html
Thanks again! Oh I thought once you land and have a local canadian address, you can claim to be a PR. I mean who is tracking if you are spending all your time in Canada or traveling to and fro between US/Canada?
I guess it might be best to first land and come back to the US and then try to get a date in Canada. Isnt it? If not, then perhaps I travel to India after getting a date there. Is it possible to change the desired place of interview from Ottawa to New Delhi now? Or I need to fill DS 160 again now for India date? Its a complete mess. :(
Appreciate your help a lot.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks again! Oh I thought once you land and have a local canadian address, you can claim to be a PR. I mean who is tracking if you are spending all your time in Canada or traveling to and fro between US/Canada?
I guess it might be best to first land and come back to the US and then try to get a date in Canada. Isnt it? If not, then perhaps I travel to India after getting a date there. Is it possible to change the desired place of interview from Ottawa to New Delhi now? Or I need to fill DS 160 again now for India date? Its a complete mess. :(
Appreciate your help a lot.
Yes, you are still a PR of Canada. No questions on that but this context in what US visa has put down those questions are related to your residence is nothing related to how Canada is looking you as.

Leave about Canadian side. When you are coming for a US interview, obviously you ll be taking or submitting your i94 right. If needed they can pull your history, but 90% they wouldn't do this. However, you can still give a Canadian address, few folks have given their friend's address. But again if they ask you , where are you staying now, you need to explain. I was asked that question. when i said i have landed in 2019 and moved in 2020, they understood that i have been in Canada since 2019 which is not the case. If you can explain ,no issues. Also, if you get a dropbox option better you travel to Canada and submit passport from Inside Canada to be on safer side as few folks were asked to attend in-person interview after sending the passport.

Yes, you need to fill a new DS-160 and you need to go to local country's Website to book an appointment there. Both are different.

I think you can still try to figure this out talking or emailing the customer service Ottawa.

DAVVY75

Jun 20, 2022
Yes, you are still a PR of Canada. No questions on that but this context in what US visa has put down those questions are related to your residence is nothing related to how Canada is looking you as.

Leave about Canadian side. When you are coming for a US interview, obviously you ll be taking or submitting your i94 right. If needed they can pull your history, but 90% they wouldn't do this. However, you can still give a Canadian address, few folks have given their friend's address. But again if they ask you , where are you staying now, you need to explain. I was asked that question. when i said i have landed in 2019 and moved in 2020, they understood that i have been in Canada since 2019 which is not the case. If you can explain ,no issues. Also, if you get a dropbox option better you travel to Canada and submit passport from Inside Canada to be on safer side as few folks were asked to attend in-person interview after sending the passport.

Yes, you need to fill a new DS-160 and you need to go to local country's Website to book an appointment there. Both are different.

I think you can still try to figure this out talking or emailing the customer service Ottawa.
Ok, so it seems I should land and come back with AVR option. Hope i wont have any problem coming back via AVR since I have not applied yet at Canadian consulate for the visa? Later on I can try getting a date in Canada while still in the US.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Ok, so it seems I should land and come back with AVR option. Hope i wont have any problem coming back via AVR since I have not applied yet at Canadian consulate for the visa? Later on I can try getting a date in Canada while still in the US.
Haven't you done your landing yet?? If you haven't done your landing formalities yet then Yes, you are not a Permanent Resident of Canada( In this scenario what you have answered in questionnaire is right). There is a confusion as you have mentioned in your previous post that you are Canadian PR.

Yes, you can go back on AVR after landing. Its not mandatory you stay here. what is the date you got your slot? You can come back once your date becomes closer.

Here you have mentioned that you are already a PR??