+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card issues? help

d_1982

Star Member
Nov 20, 2008
hello i have a question if you are u.s citizen and got married to canadian citizen when ever you get your PR card, can you sponsor your parent from overseas while you have PR card status? and if you can how long does the process takes usually?

and after u.s citizen marrying a canadian citizen how long does it take for u.s citizen to get PR card months days years?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No

2. between 6 months and a year but if they are not living in Canada, they need to prove that they are planning to move to Canada when the US spouse gets the PR.

d_1982

Star Member
Nov 20, 2008
u said NO ? whats that mean u cant bring u r parent if u have pr card ? not even for a visit ? so u r saying u have to have a canadian ctiizenship to bring ur parnt ? anyways thankzz for the reply

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your question was "can you sponsor your parent from overseas while you have PR card status?"

You can not sponsor your parent if you are overseas. You have to be in Canada to do it. If you were in Canada, you would have to show income to support your parent. Time it takes is 2 years in Canada plus whatever time it takes in the homeland of your parent, depends on where they are from. After your parent comes to Canada, you are responsible for them not being on social assistance for the next 10 years.

d_1982

Star Member
Nov 20, 2008
ok ya i get u r point now but u can sponsor for u r parent once u recive a PR card ? right ?

if u marry a canadian citizen how does that work in canada i mean does the husband have the right to divorce his wife only* or can the wife divorce his husband without husband's permission?

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
I think he is talking about to sponsor the parent from overseas, not him sponsoring from overseas to his parent. Once you get the PR card and you live and work in Canada, then you can sponsor your parents. I guess you can also sponsor of you are working in US for a Canadian company.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, if you have a PR card, you can sponsor your parent, as long as you are living in Canada. Canada has gender equality so I am sure it's equally easy for a wife to divorce husband like the other way around.

M

med

i dont think one can have any problems sponsoring family members when he has a pr and living and working in canda