+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application with Accompanying Common-Law Partner

BuminKhan

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
Hi guys,

I am a graduate of Canadian University (as an International Student), I have just finished my first year at my NOC A job on Post-Graduate Work Permit.

My common-law partner is also on Post-Graduate Work Permit (graduated this summer), and just started his first job (NOC A) this week.

I learnt that I must apply for PR as common-law with accompanying spouse (I really have no other option since he's already in Canada) but unfortunately this does not conclude my questions.

1) Will my spouse receive his PR at the same time as me ?
2) What is he considered in this arrangement ? Sponsored spouse ? Dependent ?
3) How long will it take to process this application vs single pr application ?
4) I heard sponsoring process takes like 12-18 months ? Is it only when people get pr with non-accompanying spouse and then try to bring them to Canada ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi guys,

I am a graduate of Canadian University (as an International Student), I have just finished my first year at my NOC A job on Post-Graduate Work Permit.

My common-law partner is also on Post-Graduate Work Permit (graduated this summer), and just started his first job (NOC A) this week.

I learnt that I must apply for PR as common-law with accompanying spouse (I really have no other option since he's already in Canada) but unfortunately this does not conclude my questions.

Yes

Co-applicant, dependent (solely for the purpose of the PR application)

No difference, unless his background is complicated...

4) I heard sponsoring process takes like 12-18 months ? Is it only when people get pr with non-accompanying spouse and then try to bring them to Canada ?
All family class applications take longer than Express Entry.

BuminKhan

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
--> Yes

--> Co-applicant, dependent (solely for the purpose of the PR application)

--> No difference, unless his background is complicated...

--> All family class applications take longer than Express Entry.

Can you elaborate on your answers from the perspective of our situation ? Our application is considered as Express Entry still, right ? Because when I google stuff like "Permanent Resident Co-Applicant", Family Class applications come up. What is the right terminology to use for our situation that would describe the type of our application ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Can you elaborate on your answers from the perspective of our situation ? Our application is considered as Express Entry still, right ?
If you apply through the Express Entry system, then, yes. Family Class applications have completely different procedures.

Because when I google stuff like "Permanent Resident Co-Applicant", Family Class applications come up. What is the right terminology to use for our situation that would describe the type of our application ?

"Express Entry" is a management system for Economic Class applications .- FSW, CEC; FST.

BuminKhan

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
Okay then. Let's say that I will be applying to PR through Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class) with my common-law partner as my dependent/co-applicant.

Will it be a problem that my income is not super high ? My partner roughly makes same amount of money as me, he's not financially dependent on me. Will they require me to prove that I can financially take care of my partner solely based on my income ? I was under the impression that I will be asked to include his employment letter as well.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Okay then. Let's say that I will be applying to PR through Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class) with my common-law partner as my dependent/co-applicant.

Will it be a problem that my income is not super high ? My partner roughly makes same amount of money as me, he's not financially dependent on me. Will they require me to prove that I can financially take care of my partner solely based on my income ?

You are asking some basic questions that are covered on the IRCC website, suggest you become more familiar with it : ) There is no "proof of funds" requirement for the CEC class.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html

I was under the impression that I will be asked to include his employment letter as well.
If you list his job in your profile, the system will ask you ask you for documentation, yes. But since he has less than one year of experience, there is no purpose to including it in your profile, since you won´t get any points for it anyway. If you are not claiming it for points, you do not need to include it in the profile. (Later, if you get an ITA and proceed to complete the PR application, then he would need to include all of that information in his background/history document).