+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application Refused - Please Help!

kapoor11

Apr 16, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I need some serious advice regarding what's best to do next.
My application got refused last week due to a faulty employment letter from back home. I am in the process of getting the letter worded correctly and re-applying. But I just want to be absolutely sure about everything before applying the second time. I can't afford an immigration consultant or lawyer fees, so any help from you would be greatly appreciated. Here is my situation:

Currently living and working in Canada. PR application got refused but Bridging Open Work Permit was approved before that and has already been received. Does that still remain valid?

I am claiming points for 3 jobs:
  1. Current job in Canada since March 2018 (1 year and 6 months) - NOC 1123
  2. Job in India for 7 months (Jan 2014 - July 2014) - NOC 1123
  3. Internship in India for 5 months (May 2013 - Sep 2013) - NOC 5121
The third job (Internship) is a different NOC but all my work experience is related to the same industry- advertising. My question is that if I claiming points for foreign work experience under CEC category- do they all have to be under the same NOC? Is it okay that the foreign jobs are not continuous and had a gap of a few months in-between?
I know that internships are always a grey area but I am certain that it qualifies as work experience as it fulfilled the three main requirements:
  1. After I finished my education and was related to my main field of study
  2. Full time (40 hours/week)
  3. Paid
Is there anything else you would recommend to be cautious of when applying for the second time?

Any help would be highly appreciated and I'll eagerly wait for your response.

Thank You!

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
In my opinion your work experiences don't have to be under the same NOC and they can be not continuous so I think you are fine as long as the experiences you are claiming points are under NOC 0 A or B and they match with the job description.

Do you mind if I ask what happened to your faulty employment letter? How come CIC know some letters are faulty, did they try to contact to your previous employer?

kapoor11

Apr 16, 2019
Hey Ayaron,

Yes, the work experiences fall under NOC A. The employment letter given to me was like a more like a reference letter, and a bit vague- basically it did not include concrete bullet points of exact tasks/responsibilities that I did while I was working at that company. The HR was really difficult to get a hold of and wouldn't reply for days, so when they finally sent my letter, I was almost close to my application deadline and went with it. In hindsight, I should have insisted and gotten it exactly the way I wanted but nonetheless, I'm on it again. Not sure if IRCC called them at all to verify.

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Hey Ayaron,

Yes, the work experiences fall under NOC A. The employment letter given to me was like a more like a reference letter, and a bit vague- basically it did not include concrete bullet points of exact tasks/responsibilities that I did while I was working at that company. The HR was really difficult to get a hold of and wouldn't reply for days, so when they finally sent my letter, I was almost close to my application deadline and went with it. In hindsight, I should have insisted and gotten it exactly the way I wanted but nonetheless, I'm on it again. Not sure if IRCC called them at all to verify.
Just be careful of the documents and the deadlines, I hope everything works out for you this time.
Best of luck!

Anna Ngac

Sep 5, 2019
Hi Everyone,

My application got refused last week due to a faulty employment letter from back home. I am in the process of getting the letter worded correctly and re-applying. But I just want to be absolutely sure about everything before applying the second time. I can't afford an immigration consultant or lawyer fees, so any help from you would be greatly appreciated. Here is my situation:

Currently living and working in Canada. PR application got refused but Bridging Open Work Permit was approved before that and has already been received. Does that still remain valid?

The third job (Internship) is a different NOC but all my work experience is related to the same industry- advertising. My question is that if I claiming points for foreign work experience under CEC category- do they all have to be under the same NOC? Is it okay that the foreign jobs are not continuous and had a gap of a few months in-between?
I know that internships are always a grey area but I am certain that it qualifies as work experience as it fulfilled the three main requirements:
  3. Paid
Is there anything else you would recommend to be cautious of when applying for the second time?

Any help would be highly appreciated and I'll eagerly wait for your response.

Thank You!
Hi Kapoor,
As I understand from reading on CIC website, for foreign work experience, it must be at least 1 year continuous work.
That means your job for 7 months in India NOC 1123 and the internship for 5 months NOC 5121 won't be counted because both are less than 1 year.
So did you get points when you claimed those two jobs?

r00hi

Sep 4, 2018
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vegreville-Ottawa-Sydney-Vancouver
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
25-05-2018
Passport Req..
27-08-2019
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2019
LANDED..........
20-09-2019
your Canadian experience should be fine to qualify for CEC. put the rest of the jobs in history

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Everyone,

3. Paid
Looks like eligible work experience to me -

Just make sure all your letters of experience meet IRCC information requirements.

IRCC is a bit vague about the 1 year continuous experience bit, but I think that is just for the eligibility requirement, not CRS points - and you can combine all your eligible work experience for points.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
your Canadian experience should be fine to qualify for CEC. put the rest of the jobs in history
The question isn´t about eligibility, it´s about having a high enough CRS score to get another ITA, and assume the OP needs the many points that one year of foreign work experience add to the CRS score..

r00hi

Sep 4, 2018
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vegreville-Ottawa-Sydney-Vancouver
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
25-05-2018
Passport Req..
27-08-2019
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2019
LANDED..........
20-09-2019
The question isn´t about eligibility, it´s about having a high enough CRS score to get another ITA, and assume the OP needs the many points that one year of foreign work experience add to the CRS score..
you are right :)

kapoor11

Apr 16, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses!
I did get CRS points for those two jobs in India, even though they weren't continuous and belonged to different NOCs. The refusal letter just stated that the duties/responsibilities were missing for one of those employment letters, hence it got refused.
My Canadian job is more than a year, continuous and in my primary NOC - that is the main criteria that qualifies me for CEC. The other foreign jobs, whether for a continuous period of time or not, are good for the additional points I believe. Had I been applying under FSW stream, then it would be important for foreign work experience to be continuos, under same NOC and a minimum of one year, am I right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kanae

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi All,

I did get CRS points for those two jobs in India, even though they weren't continuous and belonged to different NOCs. The refusal letter just stated that the duties/responsibilities were missing for one of those employment letters, hence it got refused.
My Canadian job is more than a year, continuous and in my primary NOC - that is the main criteria that qualifies me for CEC. The other foreign jobs, whether for a continuous period of time or not, are good for the additional points I believe. Had I been applying under FSW stream, then it would be important for foreign work experience to be continuos, under same NOC and a minimum of one year, am I right?
Yes, I agree with you, except that for Canadian experience, there is no continuity requirement.

rob-immigrationstory

Star Member
Dec 27, 2018
Hi All,

The refusal was because one of the jobs didn't have a proper letter, or it was refused because it didn't have a proper letter and they did not count those points. Therefore your score fell below the cutoff?

That distinction and clarification would be really useful to people in the future.

Best of luck!

kapoor11

Apr 16, 2019
The refusal was because one of the jobs didn't have a proper letter, or it was refused because it didn't have a proper letter and they did not count those points. Therefore your score fell below the cutoff?

That distinction and clarification would be really useful to people in the future.

Best of luck!
Hey Rob,
Yes correct, it's the latter. Because the letter did not have a clear description of duties/responsibilities for the NOC claimed, the points I claimed for it became invalid and my overall score went down, hence the refusal.