+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Potential of public health professional in Canada

Phyo Aung

Jul 6, 2021
Myanmar
Category........
FSW
Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and currently considering to migrate into Canada by applying express entry (Federal Skilled Worker program). Is there anyone who works in public health sector in Canada now? I just want to know whether it is easy to find jobs in public health sector in Canada or not. I'm a medical doctor from Myanmar and also attained master of public health degree from China and have working experience for over 6 years now. If anyone can give me suggestion for potential of public health professional in Canada, it would be very helpful for my consideration. Looking forward any response from members. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and currently considering to migrate into Canada by applying express entry (Federal Skilled Worker program). Is there anyone who works in public health sector in Canada now? I just want to know whether it is easy to find jobs in public health sector in Canada or not. I'm a medical doctor from Myanmar and also attained master of public health degree from China and have working experience for over 6 years now. If anyone can give me suggestion for potential of public health professional in Canada, it would be very helpful for my consideration. Looking forward any response from members. Thanks!
Public health is a relatively popular degree yet there aren’t that many jobs. There are a lot of Canadian graduates who struggle to find jobs in Canada so getting a job with a foreign degree will be more difficult. A lot of the jobs go to nurses because often there is a nursing element. Public health jobs were being cut prepandemic and of course there has been an increased demand during covid but I’m not sure how much hiring was more senior level versus things like contact tracers which doesn’t need advanced degrees in public health.

Are you wanting to try and redo your residency and work as a physician in Canada. Getting relicensed as an IMG in Canada is a very long and difficult process unless you come from a few countries. Public health is not a very popular residency so IMGs have a better chance of securing a public health residency compared to the more sought after residencies like dermatology, radiology, plastic surgery, ophthalmology, etc. where the chances of securing a residency are essentially almost zero.

There is a somewhat similar case to yours on the forum where an IMG arrived in Canada and did a masters in public health in Canada but couldn’t find a job so they went back to school and became a nurse practionner. I believe they have their own clinic somewhere in northern Ontario and are very busy.

If you are really interested in remaining a physician I would suggest looking into countries like the UK and Ireland or even the US.

Reactions: Phyo Aung