+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-grad work permit, permanent residence, losing my business and home...

superderp

Aug 2, 2011
Hi there,

I've been here as a student for many years, then got myself a 3-year post-grad work permit... All in all I've lived in québec almost 10 years. I'm self-employed (working over the internet with clients) and my post grad work permit is expiring in a few months. I'm in the process of gathering the required documents to apply for permanent residence in québec as a QC selected skilled worker (CSQ application almost sent).

Basically, there's going to be a 6-or-more month gap or so between the moment my PGWP expires and the moment I get a response regarding permanent residence from the federal side, which I think has every chance of being positive...

During those 6+ months, I'm going to have to stop working in Canada. I'll have to abandon my life here to go work in a country where my fiancée isn't, because I probably won't have enough cash to remain here as a visitor while I wait to be allowed to work again (and if I do that, I'll lose all my clients because I'll have to close up shop temporarily).

Basically, regardless of what I choose, things are going to be pretty tough...

Any not-illegal things you could recommend?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
superderp said:
Hi there,

I've been here as a student for many years, then got myself a 3-year post-grad work permit... All in all I've lived in québec almost 10 years. I'm self-employed (working over the internet with clients) and my post grad work permit is expiring in a few months. I'm in the process of gathering the required documents to apply for permanent residence in québec as a QC selected skilled worker (CSQ application almost sent).

Basically, there's going to be a 6-or-more month gap or so between the moment my PGWP expires and the moment I get a response regarding permanent residence from the federal side, which I think has every chance of being positive...

During those 6+ months, I'm going to have to stop working in Canada. I'll have to abandon my life here to go work in a country where my fiancée isn't, because I probably won't have enough cash to remain here as a visitor while I wait to be allowed to work again (and if I do that, I'll lose all my clients because I'll have to close up shop temporarily).

Basically, regardless of what I choose, things are going to be pretty tough...

Any not-illegal things you could recommend?
If you get selected for Quebec PR, then you will recieve one "nominatiön certificate" which you have to submit along with other document to federal goverment. And till the federal government takes any decision based on that "nominatiön certificate", you are legally entitled to live in Quebec. You can easily get renew your work permit based on that "nomination certificate".

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
enfield said:
If you get selected for Quebec PR, then you will recieve one "nominatiön certificate" which you have to submit along with other document to federal goverment. And till the federal government takes any decision based on that "nominatiön certificate", you are legally entitled to live in Quebec. You can easily get renew your work permit based on that "nomination certificate".
*amendment

I answered that last post based on the consideration that you take Quebec and Federal Government as two different entity, not a common one.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

enfield said:
The Quebec nomination certificate CSQ doesn't give you any status in Canada. Status in Canada is function of CIC.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
HI

The Quebec nomination certificate CSQ doesn't give you any status in Canada. Status in Canada is function of CIC.
Its true neither CSQ or any other Provincial Nominee Certificate gives you status in Canada.

but what I understood that you can extend your current work permit on the basis that so called nomination certificate till the Federal Govt process and decide PNP selected applicants.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quebec immigration is actually not a PNP and has been around much longer than the PNP's. The PNP's can lift your need for an LMO to apply for a regular work permit if you have already been nominated through them. I do not know if Quebec does the same if you have a CSQ already. However, if you are self-employed, this would not be useful to you because work permits are given out for an employee to work for an employer and not for self-employed persons. The post-grad work permit itself can not be extended. Sorry dude but you should have started working on this a bit earlier.

Another option is to marry your fiancee as long as she is a PR or Canadian and she could sponsor you. If you do it outland, through your home country, or through the US which you are entitled to since you are living in Canada, you could have it in as little as 6 months if you are lucky.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
superderp said:
My understanding was that a post-graduation work permit could not be extended... Are you saying it can?
Are you selected for CSQ ? If yes, thn read further!

Once you selected for CSQ, your application for PR is further decided by the Government of Canada and till the Government process/or make any decision on your Application, you CAN STAY in Canada.

www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/permanent-residence/presence.html

If you are NOT selected for the CSQ but have applied for the same. And you fear before Quebec Govt decide anything, your Post Graduate Work Permit shall expire and you have to leave Canada, thn ;

1. Either you get enroll in some cheap language course in any recognized school and get study permit. It will give you a legal status in Quebec and you can further wait for your CSQ.

2. Since you are self employed and I am not sure how you going to work it out, but you can try for skill based full time job offer in quebec and get work permit for the same. I dont think if there will be any issue of L.M.O for you.