+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police clearance certificate for a country

Tempabay

Sep 6, 2017
Hi ,
I have received an ITA and have collected all my documents.There is once concern i have.

I have visited Sri Lanka on below visas:

60 days Business Visa
150 days work visa on a different trip.

I am not a citizen of Sri Lanka and no more have any valid visa for Sri Lanka.Do i need to get a police clearance certificate?

Question arises because it is written in CIC website for Sri Lanka police certificate :
Police certificates are available to non-nationals who have legal status in the country.

If you do not have legal status, you are not required to provide a Sri Lankan police certificate. If you are asked for a Sri Lankan police certificate, write: “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Sri Lanka because certificates are only available to people who have legal status.”

Can some one tell me what is the meaning of legal status and if currently i do not have any valid visa ,still from the above statement does it looks like they issue PCC?

Urgent hel pis appreciated.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You had legal status at the time, but you do not now, hence the ambiguity, right? The way it is written, to me, says that if you do not currently have legal status, you do not need to provide the PCC.

Just write a letter of explanation about your dates of stay, and include the statement, “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Sri Lanka because certificates are only available to people who have legal status.”

Tempabay

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks @jes_ON for your answer..I hope this will not lead into application being rejected.If CIC still wants it after that will they raise a question or they reject the application?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks @jes_ON for your answer..I hope this will not lead into application being rejected.If CIC still wants it after that will they raise a question or they reject the application?
If you have followed their directions, they will not reject the application.

Except of course in the rare but possible case of the IRCC officer making a mistake, in which case you can point out the mistake and ask for a reconsideration.

feb1990

Oct 17, 2017
Hi, newbie here. I have exactly the same problem. I stayed in Sri Lanka for 175 days for study. Thought I did not need a police certificate and submitted my application without one on 22 Sep 2017. Then got rejected as incomplete for lacking a Sri Lankan police certificate....

I'm confused now whether I need one. It seems to be hard to get for a foreigner.

Can I ask how did it work out for you? Have you submitted the application? If yes, has your application pass the R10?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi, newbie here. I have exactly the same problem. I stayed in Sri Lanka for 175 days for study. Thought I did not need a police certificate and submitted my application without one on 22 Sep 2017. Then got rejected as incomplete for lacking a Sri Lankan police certificate....

Did you provide the required written explanation? If not, that is the reason it was refused.

feb1990

Oct 17, 2017
Well I didn't think 175 days would count as "6 months". But my concern is now whether submitting an explanation letter including the statement, “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Sri Lanka because certificates are only available to people who have legal status.” would actually be enough. Is there any successful cases involving submitting such a letter?

I just got my second ITA today. This problem makes me hesitate.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well I didn't think 175 days would count as "6 months". But my concern is now whether submitting an explanation letter including the statement, “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Sri Lanka because certificates are only available to people who have legal status.” would actually be enough. Is there any successful cases involving submitting such a letter?
Submitting the explanation letter is following IRCC directions.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/sri-lanka.asp

"Police certificates are available to non-nationals who have legal status in the country.

If you do not have legal status, you are not required to provide a Sri Lankan police certificate. If you are asked for a Sri Lankan police certificate, write: “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Sri Lanka because certificates are only available to people who have legal status.”"

feb1990

Oct 17, 2017
Submitting the explanation letter is following IRCC directions.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/sri-lanka.asp

"Police certificates are available to non-nationals who have legal status in the country.

If you do not have legal status, you are not required to provide a Sri Lankan police certificate. If you are asked for a Sri Lankan police certificate, write: “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Sri Lanka because certificates are only available to people who have legal status.”"
Got it. I'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Tempabay

Sep 6, 2017
After submitting the application I have received ready for visa email 22 oct and submitted my passport on 25th Oct.. not sure if that means approval but there is no update in my cic account ...I am very worried ...since they have asked for passport but providing no updates..

feb1990

Oct 17, 2017
After submitting the application I have received ready for visa email 22 oct and submitted my passport on 25th Oct.. not sure if that means approval but there is no update in my cic account ...I am very worried ...since they have asked for passport but providing no updates..
I think that means your application is successful. Congrats. So you did it with a letter of explanation saying you don't have legal status?

Tempabay

Sep 6, 2017
I explained them what all visas I had for Srilanka and told them the same statement from CIC website that Sri Lanka do not provide police clearance for the persons staying who do not have current legal status .. I have received the ready for visa email but there is no change in my cic account...since application do not say if it’s approved.

Reactions: jes_ON

feb1990

Oct 17, 2017
I explained them what all visas I had for Srilanka and told them the same statement from CIC website that Sri Lanka do not provide police clearance for the persons staying who do not have current legal status .. I have received the ready for visa email but there is no change in my cic account...since application do not say if it’s approved.
From what I've read, the CIC status rarely changes. Some people even said their status is still "in progress" when they have already gotten their passport back with visa on it. So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you... You have submitted your PP? Just wait.

Reactions: jes_ON

gitmlife

Apr 19, 2015
Dubai
Hi buddy, what did you upload in the upload link for Sri Lanka PCC ? Did you upload the LoE there ?