+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police check from home country

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was told that if you haven't lived in your home country for more than 6 months after turning 18, you don't need to request a police check. Can someone please confirm?

I have turned 18 in July but moved to Canada a month later and have only been back for 2 weeks since.

Thank you!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. How old are you now?

2. For what are you applying?

3. How are you in Canada now, and were you required to submit a police check to get that status?

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
1. How old are you now?

2. For what are you applying?

3. How are you in Canada now, and were you required to submit a police check to get that status?
1. 23
2. Express Entry under Canadian experience class
3. Post graduate work permit, I was not required to submit a police check.

I haven’t gotten my ITA yet, but hoping to get it in the next draw. I am from Russia so getting a police check remotely seems nearly impossible?

thank you

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. 23
2. Express Entry under Canadian experience class
3. Post graduate work permit, I was not required to submit a police check.

I haven’t gotten my ITA yet, but hoping to get it in the next draw. I am from Russia so getting a police check remotely seems nearly impossible?

thank you
You're going to have to apply. You don't have to get police certificates for any time in countries before you were 18, but since you were 18 in Russia you need one.

You must include police certificates when you apply for permanent residence.

Our online system will ask for a police certificate for:

• you and your family members who are 18 years or older
  • and
  • every country you (or a family member) stayed in during the last 10 years for 6 months or more in a row
You don’t need to give us police certificates for any period of time before you were 18 years old or for time spent in Canada.
The Express Entry police certificates website states that pretty clearly: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

You can get Russian certificates of no criminal conviction from an embassy or consulate in Canada. Always check the IRCC website for instruction on how: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/russia.html

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
You're going to have to apply. You don't have to get police certificates for any time in countries before you were 18, but since you were 18 in Russia you need one.

The Express Entry police certificates website states that pretty clearly: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

You can get Russian certificates of no criminal conviction from an embassy or consulate in Canada. Always check the IRCC website for instruction on how: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/russia.html
Hmm okay, thanks. Seems like 2 constraints apply in this case: for 6 months in a row and since you turned 18. My co-workers lawyer said she doesn’t need to submit one, she’s in a similar situation.

I was on the phone with the consulate today and they told me I can book an appointment for April...

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The catch is that you stayed there for six months or more in a row, and you left after you were 18. You may be able to get away with not submitting one up front, but if the system asks you for a certificate (and you have only 60 days to apply) then it may be challenging to get one in time once you have an ITA. You could theoretically submit a confirmation of fees paid or a request letter, but that may not cut it.

My partner didn't need an appointment when she got hers - she just went in, paid a fee, and came back a few days later. Did the consulate understand what you needed? I can't access the Embassy's website at work because all Russian websites are filtered here.

You don't need to talk to anyone, they just need your passport, possibly your internal passport, and to verify that you have no convictions.

The IRCC website offers this as an option for non-Russian citizens: http://mvd.ru/mvd/structure1/Centri/Glavnij_informacionno_analiticheskij_cen Is it worth checking if you can get a certificate there?

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
The catch is that you stayed there for six months or more in a row, and you left after you were 18. You may be able to get away with not submitting one up front, but if the system asks you for a certificate (and you have only 60 days to apply) then it may be challenging to get one in time once you have an ITA. You could theoretically submit a confirmation of fees paid or a request letter, but that may not cut it.

My partner didn't need an appointment when she got hers - she just went in, paid a fee, and came back a few days later. Did the consulate understand what you needed? I can't access the Embassy's website at work because all Russian websites are filtered here.

You don't need to talk to anyone, they just need your passport, possibly your internal passport, and to verify that you have no convictions.

The IRCC website offers this as an option for non-Russian citizens: http://mvd.ru/mvd/structure1/Centri/Glavnij_informacionno_analiticheskij_cen Is it worth checking if you can get a certificate there?
Just got off the phone with CIC, wanted to follow up here. They told me I don't need a police check because I haven't lived in the country for longer than 6 months since I turned 18. The lady explained that it is not a requirement, so i don't need to submit it. However, they might ask for it later on, but they give reasonable time to get it and even if it takes longer, you can attach a letter of explanation to ask for an extension and they will grant it given the circumstances.

Thank you for you help!

Reactions: k.h.p.