+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificates

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
I have been living in a number of countries in the last 10 years. I applied to IEC with police certificates from Finland, Norway, Spain and Ireland in 2018.

Ireland is my country of origin, and was back at Christmas, I have ordered a new one.
Norway's police cert was generated while I still lived there, and didn't move to Canada for a few more months. I have ordered a new one.
Spain I have not been back to, and there is no sign of an expiry date. - Retrieved March 2018
Finland I have not been back to, and there is no sign of an expiry date. - Retrieved March 2018

Is there any requirement that they have to be less than 6 months old before the PR application?

In addition to this, Spain only offers a certificate in Spanish, meaning I had to get it translated for the IEC application. Can I make the assumption that if the translation was good enough for IEC, it will be good enough for CEC?

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
My understanding is that once you leave country which you are not citizen of and PCC is obtained later on you can use that - refer extract from cic
If you have a police certificate that expired, include it. We'll accept it if: it was issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row. it is not for the country where you currently live

Reactions: 8638896255

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
R
My understanding is that once you leave country which you are not citizen of and PCC is obtained later on you can use that - refer extract from cic
If you have a police certificate that expired, include it. We'll accept it if: it was issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row. it is not for the country where you currently live
Use translator for Spanish as he needs to be certified as per definition below
A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
R

Use translator for Spanish as he needs to be certified as per definition below
A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada
My translator for the Spanish one was Norwegian, since that is where I was living at the time. They were fully certified, and that police cert was accepted for IEC. Do you imagine I will have to get it retranslated by an Canadian recognized certified translator? Is there a directory of those kinds of translators?

Generosuboy

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Can you please link this statement?

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
My translator for the Spanish one was Norwegian, since that is where I was living at the time. They were fully certified, and that police cert was accepted for IEC. Do you imagine I will have to get it retranslated by an Canadian recognized certified translator? Is there a directory of those kinds of translators?
This should be acceptable - I have submitted birth certificate using translator and getting it notarised

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
I think there is one more thing in relation to the Police Certificates.

I was under the impression that I didn't need to produce a Canadian Police Cert, because we were already in Canada, and I am sure they would be able to look up my lack of a criminal history themselves. There is even a very specific note, on the How to get a Police Certificate, it says that if you are applying for PR, you do not need to generate one for Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/canada.html

However, while on r/ImmigrationCanada, someone posted how they would go about getting a Canadian Police Cert. I was confused by their request, and where did that request come from. I figured that they were confused. They then copy pasted the request text, and it did in fact say that they need to get a Canadian Police Cert, from the RCMP.

Has anyone come across this? Is this something that I should look to get before starting my application?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I think there is one more thing in relation to the Police Certificates.

I was under the impression that I didn't need to produce a Canadian Police Cert, because we were already in Canada, and I am sure they would be able to look up my lack of a criminal history themselves. There is even a very specific note, on the How to get a Police Certificate, it says that if you are applying for PR, you do not need to generate one for Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/canada.html

However, while on r/ImmigrationCanada, someone posted how they would go about getting a Canadian Police Cert. I was confused by their request, and where did that request come from. I figured that they were confused. They then copy pasted the request text, and it did in fact say that they need to get a Canadian Police Cert, from the RCMP.

Has anyone come across this? Is this something that I should look to get before starting my application?

1. If someone with a similar name and age has a criminal record, then CIC will request that you get a fingerprint Criminal Records Check in Canada, to either confirm or eliminate the person with record is you.

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Hi

1. If someone with a similar name and age has a criminal record, then CIC will request that you get a fingerprint Criminal Records Check in Canada, to either confirm or eliminate the person with record is you.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks!