+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate from home country for 14 months back and haven’t been there since then

caf445

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
Hello all
I got a police certificate from my home country 14 months ago, and have not been back since then, been in Canada for the whole time. Now I’m applying for CEC, and was wondering if I can still use my police certificate from 14 months ago considering I have been in Canada after that.
Thanks in advance.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Just make sure the Police Certificate was issued after you left your home country to come to Canada. If it was issued before you left (as was the case with me) you'll need to get a new one.

Reactions: jes_ON

caf445

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
Just make sure the Police Certificate was issued after you left your home country to come to Canada. If it was issued before you left (as was the case with me) you'll need to get a new one.
Were you asked to upload an updated police certificate after you had submitted your application?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Were you asked to upload an updated police certificate after you had submitted your application?
My home country is a special case, as people can't normally request a Police Certificate themselves - only employers, institutions, embassies etc. can. So I completed my application with a letter stating that I will await instructions from CIC on how to handle this (this is what they recommend to do on canada.ca). In a normal situation, I would've requested a new Police Certificate first before submitting an application.

If this special circumstance doesn't apply to you, don't go forward with your application with a Police Certificate issued before you left your home country, as they will reject the application all-together most likely.