+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police certificate for non-accompanying family members

bichok111

May 29, 2008
PLEASE ADVISE~!!!
My Mother is applying for the PR in Canada. I have no desire to immigrate to Canada, currently live in the US and in the process of applying for adjustment of status (I-485) (already have I-140 approval). She wants me to get the police certificate, however, I am worried that submitting request to the FBI for Police certificate may negatively affect my own immigration process to the US. I am worried that it may appear to the US immigration that my request is an intent to immigrate to Canada. At the same time by not providing this certificate I am not sure how it may (or may not) affect my Mother's application process.
Am I looking at this too deeply as it may be just a "routine" FBI request that have nothing to do with my current immigration to the US?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Also, can anyone provide a reference for a good Canadian lawyer who may help me on this?
Your replies are greatly appreciated!!!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bichok111 said:
PLEASE ADVISE~!!!
My Mother is applying for the PR in Canada. I have no desire to immigrate to Canada, currently live in the US and in the process of applying for adjustment of status (I-485) (already have I-140 approval). She wants me to get the police certificate, however, I am worried that submitting request to the FBI for Police certificate may negatively affect my own immigration process to the US. I am worried that it may appear to the US immigration that my request is an intent to immigrate to Canada. At the same time by not providing this certificate I am not sure how it may (or may not) affect my Mother's application process.
Am I looking at this too deeply as it may be just a "routine" FBI request that have nothing to do with my current immigration to the US?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Also, can anyone provide a reference for a good Canadian lawyer who may help me on this?
Your replies are greatly appreciated!!!!!
Assuming you are over 22 and not included in your mother's application, then you don't require a police certificate or medical. If you are single and under 22 and included in the application, your mother will have to include a notarized statement that you have no intention of immigrating and that she realizes that if you are not examined, you are no longer a member of the family class.

PMM