+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please suggest the suitble place for permenant settlement

parrys

Jun 14, 2010
Hi,

One of my friends is landing in Canada this month. He was not sure where to land in Canada! After his research, he zeroed in on Ontario/British Columbia/Manitoba/Alberta. He has been into Technical Writing in IT industry; however, he is open to other professions as well, as he has varied experience (over 17 years) in General HR/Administration/Training. He is looking for a place that is not very cold, that offers good job opportunities, and that has good quality of life. Currently, he has been seriously thinking of landing in Miisissigua/Toronto for that initial comfort in terms of socialization, accommodation, and food (as many Indian immigrants stay there).

But he has follwoing doubts:

which place is most suitable to settle in terms of finding jobs faster and better?
how long would it take to get the medical insurance card?
whether he must stay in the same province still he gets his?
whether his medical insurance be vaild when he moves on to the other province?

Your ansswers are hightly appreciated.

Thanks and Regeards,

Parry

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think he should permanently settle until he finds a job. He can live in motels while looking for jobs, move around from city to city until he finds one. If he starts off in Alberta or Manitoba, he will get health care right away. In BC and ON, he would have a 3 month waiting time. If he already has health care in one province they will cover him if he travels/moves to another province until he is accepted for health care there.

Alberta gets very cold in the winter but it's dry so numbers do not tell you everything. I think Manitoba is almost equally cold in winter but add also hot and humid in summer. Toronto is hot and humid in the summer but not that cold in the winter although it does snow and you do get minus temperatures. If he goes to Vancouver, he will not see much snow or minus temperatures but before picking a location due to weather or culture, he should make sure he can get a job there.

hearty

Jul 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,

with regards to that, i am a filipino nurse working in new zealand and wanting to migrate there....i was wondering where is the best place for nurses? although, i was thinking vancouver will be my priority considering the weather (grrrr..can't stand winter in new zealand..what more there????with minuses,,)

and which is better way to migrate..apply as PR first while i'm here in new zealand waiting for the approval or take the exam then apply under FSW then work there then just apply PR when i'm already there. confused..that's why haven't started yet with what i need to..in migrating but very keen to ASAP

all ideas will be appreciated

hearty

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are not looking to move to Vancouver as soon as possible, then I think you should apply under FSW and come to Canada as a PR already. Then you can take the licensing exam and look for jobs. There are certain advantages to coming in as a PR. You do not need a work permit and so you have no restrictions if you want to change jobs.

A temporary work permit would allow you to come to Canada sooner and apply for your PR later but you could have problems if you lose your job. Then you need a new job, new labour market opinion, new work permit etc. and in the meantime, you can't work.

You can check out http://www.healthmatchbc.org/ as they are the recruiters for nurses and doctors in BC and can hook you up with employers.

hearty

Jul 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:)thnks so much Leon. will have a look on that website..

parrys

Jun 14, 2010
Many thanks, Leon! I've heard one should commit in writing to stay for at least 180 days in Alberta/Manitoba to get Medical Insurance. Is that true? Also, would appreciate if these places offer good job opportunites. Which province, according to you, is the best for new comers-BC, Ontario, Alberta, or Manitoba?

Thanks,
Parry

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't heard that you have to commit to anything to get insurance. Maybe it's something new or maybe it's just a rumour.

It's very hard to say what place has the best job opportunities. Obviously the best place of job opportunities for him is where he gets a job. He could go to the city with the most job opportunities and lose out on jobs every time because of the competition and he might go to a place that has exactly one job in his field and get lucky and get it. It's impossible to say. I think he should shop around. Arrive in one place, look for jobs there and interview while setting up interviews in other cities to travel to later. In the end, he might have a couple of offers to choose from.

parrys

Jun 14, 2010
Thank again for your very prompt response, Leon!!! My friend has been into Technical Writing in IT industry. However, he says he is open for any other offline jobs, such as Administration, General HR, Counseling, etc, that fetch a decent income. Is Vancouver the right place for both IT and Non-IT jobs? In fact, is it prudent enough for him to come over to Vancouver and start exploring the opportunities or would you suggest any other place? He feels Vancouver is more congenial in terms of weather, but not sure in terms of opportunities for new comers when compared to places like Toronto and Calgary. Your quick advise is very highly appreciated.

Parry

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, he can start in Vancouver. Do his research before arriving looking at job ads, contacting employers, setting up interviews and even possibly starting lining up interviews in other cities as well.