+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please review

Shivaniarora

Sep 12, 2019
Hello,

I have been working at a restaurant for 2 years and I am in the pool for express entry. I would like to switch jobs, but still haven’t received my ITA, can i request a job letter from my employer and work somewhere else for the time until I receive my Invitation to apply.
My points are 443, and the recent draws have been so high!
Please suggest.

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Hello,

I have been working at a restaurant for 2 years and I am in the pool for express entry. I would like to switch jobs, but still haven’t received my ITA, can i request a job letter from my employer and work somewhere else for the time until I receive my Invitation to apply.
My points are 443, and the recent draws have been so high!
Please suggest.
for a start, what kind of work permit are you on currently ? open or employer specified?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes thats what I am asking if I switch jobs after taking an employment letter, is it still valid
Not clear what type of letter you are asking about.

A letter of reference only discusses past work experience. It is required for all jobs for which you are claiming for work experience.
There´s nothing stopping you from getting the letter and then quitting, other than possibility burning bridges with your employer (not good, if you should happen to need a revised letter after the fact). It would be more .... ethical? ... if you gave notice and asked for a letter upon leaving. At least your employer won´t feel like you tried to deceive them. Not always possible with some employers, tho.

A job offer letter (future employment), on the other hand, for the extra 50 points, would not be valid if you leave the employer before submitting your eAPR. Since you are on an open work permit and would need an LMIA to have a valid job offer, likely this is NOT what you are talking about...

Shivaniarora

Sep 12, 2019
Not clear what type of letter you are asking about.

A letter of reference only discusses past work experience. It is required for all jobs for which you are claiming for work experience.
There´s nothing stopping you from getting the letter and then quitting, other than possibility burning bridges with your employer (not good, if you should happen to need a revised letter after the fact). It would be more .... ethical? ... if you gave notice and asked for a letter upon leaving. At least your employer won´t feel like you tried to deceive them. Not always possible with some employers, tho.

A job offer letter (future employment), on the other hand, for the extra 50 points, would not be valid if you leave the employer before submitting your eAPR. Since you are on an open work permit and would need an LMIA to have a valid job offer, likely this is NOT what you are talking about...

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I was only looking for letter of reference only.