+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help, need advice. Thank you.

Ruth_gk

May 20, 2022
Question: My Sister applied for our niece thru Family sponsorship, she never got a response after she submitted her application so we thought she didn't pass. Now my Sis who has to retire due to health issues needs a home caregiver. Would our niece be able to apply with this Pilot home support program, would her previous application matter? Sis's daughter is willing to sponsor her as her Mother really needs the support. Thank you. P.S. I don't know where to post this.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Question: My Sister applied for our niece thru Family sponsorship, she never got a response after she submitted her application so we thought she didn't pass. Now my Sis who has to retire due to health issues needs a home caregiver. Would our niece be able to apply with this Pilot home support program, would her previous application matter? Sis's daughter is willing to sponsor her as her Mother really needs the support. Thank you. P.S. I don't know where to post this.
1. How was your sister eligible apply for family sponsorship for your niece? Does she have no spouse, children, no family at all? If not, she wasn’t eligible.

2. Assume they have posted the position and could not find a caregiver in Canada or contacted the local agencies like VON that do home visits. VONs can come every day and take care of general needs. She doesn’t need home visits but full-time care.

The daughter cant’t sponsor her. Your sister has to show the funds to pay for a full time caregiver plus meet LICO. She needs to figure out the wage for her region. For example in Ontario, the average is $18.04/hour so about $35k per year. Your sister needs to show that she meets LICO of around $23k plus the salary.

Job offer from a relative
All circumstances of the application must be reviewed to support an assessment of the eligibility and genuineness of the job offer and employer/employee relationship.

The same level of scrutiny applies if the employer is a relative, as it does for any other job offer.

Assessing whether a job offer is genuine
Offers of employment must undergo a genuineness assessment to ensure that caregivers are protected and that the integrity of the program is maintained.

Proof that a job offer is valid and genuine may include, but is not limited to,
  • a genuine need for a caregiver (for example, proof of a school-age child expected delivery date of newborn child, or a person with medical needs in the home)
  • the fact that the wage specified in the job offer is aligned with the prevailing wage in the province or territory where the work will be carried out
  • the fact that the employer has the financial ability to pay the wages specified in the job offer
  • in the case of a live-in arrangement, the fact that reasonable accommodations are provided (for example, a private room)
To assess the validity of the job offer, officers can request further information from the employer and use information provided in the job offer. For example, officers can assess whether the employer is financially able to pay the caregiver the salary described in the job offer or if there is a genuine need for a caregiver by examining

• financial information provided by the employer
  • the caregiver’s salary
  • the household composition declared in the job offer

Reactions: tertelberger