+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please any help would be very appreciated

stephan

Feb 15, 2008
Hi everyone,
My story is kind of sad and I need any help from you.
I came here in Canada a couple of years ago with a contract. I left my wife back home hoping that I will get my resident visa and bringing her here later. Indeed my hopes were met as I eventually applied and got the permanent resident visa. Futhermore we applied also for sponsorship in order to get her here and got her the permanent visa too a while ago.
Now, maybe it's the long time that we lived separately or another reason, but the thing is she has changed a lot. We fight a lot and even got to the point that we would like to separate. I am very sad, and angry at the same time, but I have to keep my mind clear.
Now could anyone give me any advice or simply share with me similar experiences. One concern I have now is in case of separating I know I still have to support her, cause we signed an aggreement for 3 yrs but I don't know how this works! Is there a minimum monthly amount that I have to pay her or the like? If she decides to move out do I have to pay for her rent? I have to mention that she doesn't work currently. What if she finds someone else? Will this fact clear me of any obligations? What if she still wants to live in the same apartment but wants to bring her new posible lover in (shit I got so angry only having this thought).
Please help me with any pragmatic answer you have, I cannot really use any simpathy from anyone, although I thank you in advance for anything.
Stephan

Canadian-loyal

Sep 13, 2007
stephan said:
Hi everyone,
My story is kind of sad and I need any help from you.
I came here in Canada a couple of years ago with a contract. I left my wife back home hoping that I will get my resident visa and bringing her here later. Indeed my hopes were met as I eventually applied and got the permanent resident visa. Futhermore we applied also for sponsorship in order to get her here and got her the permanent visa too a while ago.
Now, maybe it's the long time that we lived separately or another reason, but the thing is she has changed a lot. We fight a lot and even got to the point that we would like to separate. I am very sad, and angry at the same time, but I have to keep my mind clear.
Now could anyone give me any advice or simply share with me similar experiences. One concern I have now is in case of separating I know I still have to support her, cause we signed an aggreement for 3 yrs but I don't know how this works! Is there a minimum monthly amount that I have to pay her or the like? If she decides to move out do I have to pay for her rent? I have to mention that she doesn't work currently. What if she finds someone else? Will this fact clear me of any obligations? What if she still wants to live in the same apartment but wants to bring her new posible lover in (*censored word* I got so angry only having this thought).
Please help me with any pragmatic answer you have, I cannot really use any simpathy from anyone, although I thank you in advance for anything.
Stephan
Your wife is currently a PR of Canada. Unless there was misrepresentation in her documents and application, there is nothing you can do right now regarding her PR status. You have signed the agreement with Cnd government (for the 3 y undertaking). By law, yes you have obligation to support her financially or pay back Cnd govermenet if she happens to go on welfare system. Apart from that, the matter is not an immigration issue but a family dispute. You may need to seek legal advice regarding the family separation, (whether a lawyer or a free community legal service)

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Well you certainly have the choice of separating. You are not required to live with her partner, if she takes one.

But if she moves out and applies for social services, you will be on the hook to reimburse the government.

BlueDimple

Feb 16, 2008
I am currently finishing up the family in-Canada-class application.. but I do know that even if you decide to separate from her you will be responsible for her well being (financial, health, etc) for 3 years starting her granted PR in Canada.

Even if she needs assistance and gets on welfare etc. you would need to pay the government that money back, they could ask for all the money as they pay her or charge you in a year or two, whenever they get wind of what’s happening. According to the govt.. it is not their responsibility if a couple decides to separate after the process and therefore being her sponsor, are responsible for her.

Also, if she has found another partner, Canada still views you as the individual of sponsorship.

Sorry to hear that things are not working out for you and wish you all the best.

stephan

Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for all the answers. Could anyone give me a figure? I mean if she applies for welfare what's the amount the government will pay her, so I would know what should I pay back the government. Cause she can still ask money from me and then ask the the government for more and I will end up paying a lot of money, while I also need to sustain myself.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Clearly you will have to support this person. Call the proper authorities and let them know what happened and ask for the information you need. Lastly and perhaps most important. Take a holiday. Get away by yourself for a few days or more if you can and clear your head and heart. You are going to have to deal with your circumstances head on and without the anger and hopefully with as little hurt as possible. . Get away for a while. (By yourself or visit your family ....just get away. "This too shall pass."
Best wishes!!!

Pearlp

Feb 11, 2008
She can get about between $600 and $900 dollars a month from welfare. And she will not able to get money from you and get welfare because the welfare office will want her to try in family court to get spousel support from you, and if you give her money and she not tell welfare she is the one who needs to pay them back since she violated the contract that she will have with welfare.

Also she will not staying on welfare to long since they will want her to look for a job or to go to school.
It is actually not so easy for a single healthy person to qualify for welfare. They change their rules a lot in a past few years.

But my sugetion is go see a family law lawyer it is free for the first one hour advise.

Good Luck Pearl

LCS

May 5, 2005
This is probably going to stir up many feelings, but a few years ago even before I met and married my husband, I saw a news program on the case of an Indian woman who was married by arranged marriage to a Landed Immigrant man also originally from India. Once she got here on her PR, she was abandoned by him and he left her for another woman.
The woman who came here on the arranged marriage had no work skills here, had no money of her own- she had been totally dependent on him, and she had no family members here of her own to turn to. She knew that since he had sponsored her he was obligated for the minimum 3 yrs support. She called to CIC to force them to honor this support until she could do something to support herself here or go back to India. CIC told her that although the sponsor had agreed to the terms of support, it was not up to them to ENFORCE it, they said it was a matter for the RCMP. The RCMP told her it was an Immigration matter.
She was completely caught in between two agencies on who was going to enforce the support agreement on her behalf. Unless this loophole has been closed somehow (I am not pretending to even know if it has or not), the law did not support this particular person when she needed it. On the side, the sponsor did not have any negative consequence for refusing to honor the sponsorship of this woman he brought to Canada. If this situation has not been changed, then many people need to BEWARE!
LCS

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

LCS said:
This is probably going to stir up many feelings, but a few years ago even before I met and married my husband, I saw a news program on the case of an Indian woman who was married by arranged marriage to a Landed Immigrant man also originally from India. Once she got here on her PR, she was abandoned by him and he left her for another woman.
The woman who came here on the arranged marriage had no work skills here, had no money of her own- she had been totally dependent on him, and she had no family members here of her own to turn to. She knew that since he had sponsored her he was obligated for the minimum 3 yrs support. She called to CIC to force them to honor this support until she could do something to support herself here or go back to India. CIC told her that although the sponsor had agreed to the terms of support, it was not up to them to ENFORCE it, they said it was a matter for the RCMP. The RCMP told her it was an Immigration matter.
She was completely caught in between two agencies on who was going to enforce the support agreement on her behalf. Unless this loophole has been closed somehow (I am not pretending to even know if it has or not), the law did not support this particular person when she needed it. On the side, the sponsor did not have any negative consequence for refusing to honor the sponsorship of this woman he brought to Canada. If this situation has not been changed, then many people need to BEWARE!
LCS
1. The support obligation is enforced by the Province of residence, in that if the person sponsored collects welfare, the province goes after the sponsor for the funds.

PMM