+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Plans for Retiring in Canada

Lynne Kovan

May 9, 2010
Hi,

I am retiring next year when I hit 60. I live in the South East of England (Surrey) and have to reason to stay any more as my elderly parents have both died. It's the most expensive part of the UK to live in and getting more heavily populated each year. Who knows what the government is, let alone what they will do next!!

I was born in Nova Scotia and moved to England when I was 9. I have dual Nationality, and have always kept my Canadian passport up to date. My husband is American, and will continue to work for his American employer until he drops (!)

My dilemma is, which part of Canada to live in. I want more space than my mid terrace two up to down with postage stamp garden offers. I want to be outdoors as I love walking, gardening and photography. I love the Maritimes, but what about the weather? The UK weather is really dismal these days, with grey rainy skies for much of the time, although when it's fine it's lovely, but it's unreliable. I know the winters are harsh in Nova Scotia, but it seems to me that everything is geared up for the weather, and people get on with their lives quite happily. Is this the case?

Any advice, ideas or comments would be gratefully received, as we're still in the making up our minds phase of this project, and are open to ideas.

Looking forward to reponses,
Regards,

Lynne

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Wow, so many variables to consider.

Can your husband work from any location in Canada?

If yes, then what is your housing budget?

If you can afford expensive places, research the west coast: higher house prices, but a gentle climate that allows you to be outdoors a lot of the year.

The east coast offers lower house prices, but a climate not dissimilar to what you have in England.

The middle provinces -- Ontario and Quebec -- offer mid-range house prices (in places like Ottawa, London, but not in expensive Toronto) and weather extremes (cold in the winter, hot in the summer).

Lynne Kovan

May 9, 2010
Thanks Toby,

My husband can work anywhere really as he works from home, and needs to travel to the US two or three times a year as well as the Continent.

We will have about $350,000 to spend on a property. I shall explore the West Coast and see what's on offer.

Thanks for your advice

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Yes, Lynne

West coast weather is better if u consider vancouver, but cost of living is relatively much higher, in fact, the most costly place to live in Canada, however, if u like outdoor activities and nicer weather, vancouver is the most suitable. However, if u dont mind a bit colder but drier weather, calgary is one to consider with lots of winter sports to participate as the rockies is nearby and cost of living is relatively much cheaper than Vancouver and Toronto, with a relatively slower pace of life as well.

So the choice is indeed yours and it all depends on yr budget for cost of living and weather.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

For housing prices, you can check www.realtors.ca

hope this helps.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
For $350,000 you can get a nice condo in Vancouver (about 850 sq ft), a really nice condo in White Rock (about 1020 sq ft), and about the same (with ocean view) in Nanaimo.

Vancouver (especially the Kitsilano area) and maybe WHit Rock are more upscale; Nanaimo was and remains a blue-collar town (though it is becoming more chic to live there among retirees).