+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD in Quebec, possible PR pathways?

Achenred

Feb 28, 2021
Hello,

I recently started my Ph.D. program in Quebec and I wish to apply for PR. I have a master's and 3 years of work experience and I am an Indian national. Are there any pathways for me to apply before graduation? Has anyone tried applying in EE or FSW steams while still a resident in Quebec? One route I can think of is to maintain residence in Ontario- Quebec border town and show that I intend to move to ON after graduation (after 3 years). Is this a feasible route?

Thanks.

miguelca

May 6, 2021
You can of course apply for EE while being inside Quebec.
Now, it will be your responsibility to convince the immigration officer that you I’ll not settle in Quebec.
Anything that can proof you are not going to remain in Quebec should be attached. Property in Ontario, Job Letter outside Quebec, family ties in Ontario etc….

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I recently started my Ph.D. program in Quebec and I wish to apply for PR. I have a master's and 3 years of work experience and I am an Indian national. Are there any pathways for me to apply before graduation? Has anyone tried applying in EE or FSW steams while still a resident in Quebec? One route I can think of is to maintain residence in Ontario- Quebec border town and show that I intend to move to ON after graduation (after 3 years). Is this a feasible route?

Thanks.
If you want to secure PR before graduation, applying outside of Quebec will be extremely difficult because you remain a student in Quebec. Once you no longer are studying in Quebec yes you can apply for PR outside Quebec as long as you move outside Quebec during the process or prove you will be moving to Quebec as soon as you secure PR (harder to do). Proof that you are working and living outside Quebec makes securing PR outside Quebec much easier.

Achenred

Feb 28, 2021
If you want to secure PR before graduation, applying outside of Quebec will be extremely difficult because you remain a student in Quebec. Once you no longer are studying in Quebec yes you can apply for PR outside Quebec as long as you move outside Quebec during the process or prove you will be moving to Quebec as soon as you secure PR (harder to do). Proof that you are working and living outside Quebec makes securing PR outside Quebec much easier.
Thanks for your response @canuck78. That's what I thought too! is there any way to apply for PR in Quebec while I am still a student? I read in a couple of places that we can apply for CSQ under the QSW program after 18 months of the Ph.D. program, is that true? I couldn't find any further information on that. Also please suggest if there are any other alternative routes. Thanks!

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Hello,

Thanks.
What's your PhD program? There are some AI specific streams that the government encourages.