+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport update question

steviewave85

Feb 2, 2018
Hi All,

I already got the work permit from young professional program and I am now preparing to head to Canada.
However, due to the job I got offered in Canada, I have to have business trip to USA a lot, so I will need to apply USA B1/B2 visa before I head to Canada.

My question is, my passport will be expired in 2020. I assume if I apply USA B1/B2 visa, the visa expiry date will be shorter than my passport expiry date? If so, I would prefer to update my passport first before I apply the USA B1/B2 visa. But once the passport was updated, the new passport number will not be the same as my current one and the current passport will not be valid anymore. I already used my current passport number for all the application of young professional visa. Does it matter if I hold a new passport to arrive Canada? Of course I can still have the current passport with me to approve I used it for all the application.

Does anyone have this kind of experience?

Thanks

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi there,

First off I am assuming that you have your visa or permit stamped in your passport. If not just jump the next paragraph.

Secondly from my own experience as long as there is no sign of harm to your visa on your old passport they will let you in (assuming that it hasn't expired). So when you apply for a new passport you will need to send in your old passport right? And they usually punch holes in the old one or cut the corners to make them void. Just make sure you ask them to do it in a way so your current visa stays untouched, and I mean UNTOUCHED! And yes it is possible!

Thirdly, not sure from what country you are coming from, but in most cases you can not update your passport if you have 9 months or more validity on it.

And lastly do not count on my words, just stick around for more info from seniors.

Best of luck,

Last edited:

nsuri

Mar 20, 2018
Hi All,

I already got the work permit from young professional program and I am now preparing to head to Canada.
However, due to the job I got offered in Canada, I have to have business trip to USA a lot, so I will need to apply USA B1/B2 visa before I head to Canada.

My question is, my passport will be expired in 2020. I assume if I apply USA B1/B2 visa, the visa expiry date will be shorter than my passport expiry date? If so, I would prefer to update my passport first before I apply the USA B1/B2 visa. But once the passport was updated, the new passport number will not be the same as my current one and the current passport will not be valid anymore. I already used my current passport number for all the application of young professional visa. Does it matter if I hold a new passport to arrive Canada? Of course I can still have the current passport with me to approve I used it for all the application.

Does anyone have this kind of experience?

Thanks
Hello Stevie,

For B1/B2 visa you just need 6 months more valid Passport

In my case I have only 7 months valid passport. I didn't applied for new one yet although I got my B1/B2 for 2028

once you applied for new passport, just tag the old passport and new passport together

Cheers
Naveen