+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport courier to canada from india

trust123

Jun 3, 2011
Hi All,

My husband is working in canada on work permit and I am in india. We applied for canadian PR. Now, we have recieved a letter from canadian counsel to send our passports.

Now, I want to send my passport to my husband in canada so that he can deliver it both the passports for PR visa stamping. Courier companies have denied to send the passport via courier.

What is the option through which I can send my passport to my husband at canada. Please advise. Is anyother person can carry on my behalf. If I create one authorization letter and notarized it.

Will it work? I would really appreciate the prompt responses. Please let me know asap as every day is counted now.

If anyone also was in similar situation then how was the experience....

-Thanks

gauravyaksh

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
Doc's Request.
24-08-2011
AOR Received.
16-03-2011
Med's Request
16-03-2011
Med's Done....
15-04-2011
Passport Req..
25-10-2011
Hello Trust123,

It's illegal to send passport through mail out of India. Best options is if you can travel there.
second is you can write an authorization letter and ask a friend or family to carry passport for you to Canada.

Regards,

trust123

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks Gaurav for your reply. So is that authorization letter will be the plain letter or notarized?

Or do i need go to passport office to ask them to gimme the letter

gauravyaksh

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
Doc's Request.
24-08-2011
AOR Received.
16-03-2011
Med's Request
16-03-2011
Med's Done....
15-04-2011
Passport Req..
25-10-2011
I believe you can write it on a piece of paper and make sure your signature match the one on your passport.
get one notarized also to be safe !

trust123

Jun 3, 2011
Sorry Gaurav. Bothering you again n again.

Authority letter from passport office is not required? are you sure? I am asking because i am so much worried.....

okwama2002

Star Member
Mar 6, 2011
Contact the Indian foreign affairs department. Most countries dont allow individuals to send passports across borders by mail. The Indian foreign affairs can transfer your passport in a diplomatic bag to their embassy in Canada where you husband can pick it up. Your passport is government property and the government may take it back at anytime. I have my friend whose passport was seized and he never got it back simply because his mother inadvertently traveled with it and it was found my immigration. I am not Indian, but I know that most governments are really serious about how their passports are used. Please talk to your government, they may help you.
Sincerely

okwama2002

Star Member
Mar 6, 2011
The other option is to inform CIC of you new address. Your friend who will travel with the passport will have to deal with immigration agents of atleast two countries- India and Canada- and you may not know their rules about carrying other people's passports. Do your research, contact Canadian border agents and your government before you commit your passports to another person's custody.
Thanks

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Indian laws do not allow passports to be sent through mail, but couriers by definition of the law implies that it is carried by a messenger.
So, try DHL, they always carry passports. Yes, they r super expensive but so what? not as expensive as physically going to Canada...
We have enquired and tried this in the past, and only DHL was willing to do it... but then I did not actually send the pp after all. But this was not for the purpose of getting any visa....
hope this helps.
cprak0

trust123 said:
Hi All,

My husband is working in canada on work permit and I am in india. We applied for canadian PR. Now, we have recieved a letter from canadian counsel to send our passports.

Now, I want to send my passport to my husband in canada so that he can deliver it both the passports for PR visa stamping. Courier companies have denied to send the passport via courier.

What is the option through which I can send my passport to my husband at canada. Please advise. Is anyother person can carry on my behalf. If I create one authorization letter and notarized it.

Will it work? I would really appreciate the prompt responses. Please let me know asap as every day is counted now.

If anyone also was in similar situation then how was the experience....

-Thanks

gauravyaksh

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
Doc's Request.
24-08-2011
AOR Received.
16-03-2011
Med's Request
16-03-2011
Med's Done....
15-04-2011
Passport Req..
25-10-2011
I don't think that should be an issue considering the passport is being carried with your consent.
I personally plan to do so wen i get my PPR from buffalo as i'm in India. But I will be carrying passport of my wife and son.
check on other forums also. i don't see this as an issue.

I guess your husband might need authority letter from you if he is visiting Visa Office in person, else it won't be required.

trust123

Jun 3, 2011
Today I enquire the same with post office in delhi. They said that there is no issue. They can send the passport outside the country.

however courier companies are denying to do this...

has anyone tried this?

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
pl re check... Indian post office will not allow passports to be mailed out... they may deny once u actually try to send it. DHL do ferry passports overseas, and one can be sure of the proper delivery with DHL.

cprak0

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trust123 said:
Today I enquire the same with post office in delhi. They said that there is no issue. They can send the passport outside the country.

however courier companies are denying to do this...

has anyone tried this?
The person at the PO to whom asked may not be aware of the law.
Try to find out any courier who accept with your consent. I don't know whether there is a rule permitting you to send the PP by a third person with your authorization. While I was in Saudi Arabia I sent my passport ( my wife's PP also) with FedEx out of the country and I got it back safely with visa. There were no issues. Keep in mind that the problem only starts when you loose your passport in transit.

murthy909

Jul 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2009
Doc's Request.
15-10-2009
AOR Received.
15-02-2010
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
27-04-2010
Med's Request
12-09-2011
Med's Done....
29-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2012
Hello,

Did you carry your wife & son's passport to US from india for PR stamping without any hassle?
How did u get your passports back from canadian consulate after stamping?I'm also in the same situation as yours ..please share your experience.

Thanks

gauravyaksh said:
I don't think that should be an issue considering the passport is being carried with your consent.
I personally plan to do so wen i get my PPR from buffalo as i'm in India. But I will be carrying passport of my wife and son.
check on other forums also. i don't see this as an issue.

I guess your husband might need authority letter from you if he is visiting Visa Office in person, else it won't be required.