+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Part-Time Work Hours Requirement for CEC Experience

Rushabh5

Nov 22, 2017
Hello
I work part - time as store supervisor in retail environment for 1 year as NOC B. In my express entry profile I have showed that I get 15 hours per week but there are some weeks were I get more than 30 hours and some week I get less than 8 hours depending on the business ,but my total hours as a whole year is above the requirement hours,so the fluctuation of hours per week will it affect my case.Let me know your suggestion please

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How could you achieve the required 1560 hrs in a year when you are working part-time?

You do know that you cannot count more than 30 hrs per week as part of your calculation right?

Rushabh5

Nov 22, 2017
How could you achieve the required 1560 hrs in a year when you are working part-time?

You do know that you cannot count more than 30 hrs per week as part of your calculation right?
Thanks for your reply but I have already have 2 years of full time experience in plus this part - time ,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for your reply but I have already have 2 years of full time experience in plus this part - time ,
Do you mean you worked 2 years full time, and then worked this part-time job after (sequential jobs), or that you were working part-time in addition to the full-time work (simultaneous jobs)?

Hello
,so the fluctuation of hours per week will it affect my case.
Yes. You can't just add up total hours worked if your hours fluctuate between part-time and full-time. If you are going to count part-time hours, you cannot count more than 30 hours per week.

DelPiero's point is that part-time workers, by definition, will take longer than one year to accumulate the hours needed to meet the 1 year full-time equivalent definition. You have to count the hours worked for each week - if they vary, you have to provide some kind of record of hours per week (or each pay period, if you don't have weekly records), and you can count up to a maximum of 30 hours per week (or 60 hours bi-weekly).

Last edited:

Rushabh5

Nov 22, 2017
Do you mean you worked 2 years full time, and then worked this part-time job after (sequential jobs), or that you were working part-time in addition to the full-time work (simultaneous jobs)?

Yes. You can't just add up total hours worked if your hours fluctuate between part-time and full-time. If you are going to count part-time hours, you cannot count more than 30 hours per week.

DelPiero's point is that part-time workers, by definition, will take longer than one year to accumulate the hours needed to meet the 1 year full-time equivalent definition. You have to count the hours worked for each week - if they vary, you have to provide some kind of record of hours per week (or each pay period, if you don't have weekly records), and you can count up to a maximum of 30 hours per week (or 60 hours bi-weekly).

Basically I worked 2 years full time with a company and then I went part time with the same company. I am already having around 900 hours of part time in a year. When I was full-time I was getting around 30-40 hours per week I am not concerned about full time.My main concern is when I am working part time some week I work 20 hrs and some week 10,so is officer gonna check total hours of the part-time year or he is gonna each and every paystub. Bcz as total hours I am quite above the mark. Let me know if you need more information.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello
,so the fluctuation of hours per week will it affect my case.
.My main concern is when I am working part time some week I work 20 hrs and some week 10,so is officer gonna check total hours of the part-time year or he is gonna each and every paystub. Bcz as total hours I am quite above the mark. Let me know if you need more information.
I have no idea what that means - what mark?

For each PART-TIME week (fewer than 30 hours per week), you count the hours. divide by 30, that gives you the FTE # of weeks. For every full-time week (30 or more hours) it is simply one week.

When you work part-time variable hours, it is a good idea to include paystubs (or a record of employment) so that VO can verify your hours.

How many weeks did you work part-time, during which you accumulated 900 hours?

Rushabh5

Nov 22, 2017
I have no idea what that means - what mark?

For each PART-TIME week (fewer than 30 hours per week), you count the hours. divide by 30, that gives you the FTE # of weeks. For every full-time week (30 or more hours) it is simply one week.

When you work part-time variable hours, it is a good idea to include paystubs (or a record of employment) so that VO can verify your hours.

How many weeks did you work part-time, during which you accumulated 900 hours?
Thanks a lot for your reply.Around 54 weeks and I have showed that I work 15 hours per week in express entry profile.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks a lot for your reply.Around 54 weeks and I have showed that I work 15 hours per week in express entry profile.
So...
54 weeks *15 hours per week = 810 hours
180 FTE hours / 30 = 27 FTE weeks.

So you have 2.5 years total... the part-time work is not going to make a difference in your total points, unless your full-time work is borderline or falls short of 2 years (fewer than 104 weeks).

Antu59

Dec 22, 2022
So...
54 weeks *15 hours per week = 810 hours
180 FTE hours / 30 = 27 FTE weeks.

So you have 2.5 years total... the part-time work is not going to make a difference in your total points, unless your full-time work is borderline or falls short of 2 years (fewer than 104 weeks).
Hi jes_ON, I am also working a part-time TEER-2 job...but I am doing around 30 hours per week, that is 60 hours bi-weekly, sometimes 29 hours per week. My question is do I have to work for 2 years as I am a part-timer or I can apply for PR under CEC as soon as I complete the quota of 1560 hours... any help with the information would be appreciated greatly.