+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents visiting Canada from India - Unexpired US Green Card holders

Aby V

Jul 23, 2019
Hello,
I wish to bring my parents to visit me in Toronto from India for three months - I am a US citizen, holding PR card. My parents currently hold US Green Cards (expiring in 2023) however have been living in India for the past 7 years.
If I apply for ETA, will the Green Cards and passport be sufficient to enter Canada? My concern is due to length of their stay outside the country which may be considered as abandonment of their green card.
Any suggestions or assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
AV

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
They can most likely use the US Green Card. However, a less knowledgeable airline agent may deny boarding since they don't have a Canadian Visa. Also, if they are transiting through the US, they will face problems as they have not maintained residence and their US PR status will most likely be revoked.
Why not simply apply for a Canadian Visa? The process is pretty simple and quick.

Aby V

Jul 23, 2019
I will be applying for eTA (electronic travel document) so a separate visa shouldn’t be required. My intention was for them not to travel to submit finger prints and biometric data required to complete visa application per their new policy. Thank you

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I will be applying for eTA (electronic travel document) so a separate visa shouldn’t be required. My intention was for them not to travel to submit finger prints and biometric data required to complete visa application per their new policy. Thank you
Yes they are not qualified for visa. They will be advised to apply for eta.

They can most likely use the US Green Card. However, a less knowledgeable airline agent may deny boarding since they don't have a Canadian Visa.
Why not simply apply for a Canadian Visa? The process is pretty simple and quick.
It should be fine as long as they say that they say to airline guys that they are visiting Canada or transiting to US. If the agent doesnt know she will ask other agents.
They are not qualified for Canadian visa as they are GC holders and status dont expire unless its revoked/renounced and they do have valid travel document.

Aby V

Jul 23, 2019
It should be fine as long as they say that they say to airline guys that they are visiting Canada or transiting to US. If the agent doesnt know she will ask other agents.
They are not qualified for Canadian visa as they are GC holders and status dont expire unless its revoked/renounced and they do have valid travel document.
thank you, My only fear is them being denied entry at the airport in Toronto for not establishing a valid residency status in the States.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I forgot about the eta. Yes, that should definitely be fine. If Canadian immigration has problems with their US PR status (unlikely), they can deny the eta. But they should definitely not try to transit through the US.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
thank you, My only fear is them being denied entry at the airport in Toronto for not establishing a valid residency status in the States.
well, they will anyway face the same issue even when they come by road after entering Canada as a visitor and request entry at any US land border. Or they might be even lucky to pass through. It all depends on the officer. But you cant do anything about controlling the outcome based on changing the route.

So ask lawyer on it and see how to handle. Not sure if there is any humanitarian reasons through which they can try and cbp might give you chance to prove in court which i dont know.